形容词比较级:sweller 最高级:swellest 动词过去式:swelled 过去分词:swelled/swollen 现在分词:swelling 第三人称单数:swells
v (pt swelled / sweld; swZld/, pp swollen / 5swEUlEn; `swolEn/ or swelled)
1 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态, Tn.pr esp passive 尤用于被动语态, Tn.p esp passive 尤用于被动语态] ~(to sth); ~ (sth) (up) (with sth) (cause sth to) becomelarger or bulge outwards, eg because of pressure from inside （使某物）膨胀, 肿胀
*Wood often swells when wet. 木材潮湿後往往会膨胀.
* My eyes swelled with tears. 我的眼睛里含着泪.
* His face was swollen (up) with toothache. 他的脸因牙痛而肿了起来.
* limping because of a swollen ankle 因脚腕儿发肿而一瘸一拐地走.
(b) [I, Ip, Tn, Tn.p] ~ (sth) (out) (cause sth to) curve outwards; billow （使某物）凸出, 隆起; 鼓起
*The sails swelled (out) in the wind. 船帆在风中鼓起.
* The wind swelled (out) the sails. 风把船帆刮得鼓起来了.
2 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr esp passive 尤用于被动语态] ~ (into/to sth); ~ sth (to sth) (with sth) (cause sth to) become greater in intensity, number, amount or volume （使某物）增强, 增多, 增大
*The group of onlookers soon swelled (in)to a crowd. 旁观的人很快聚集起一大群.
* The murmur swelled into a roar. 窃窃私语的声音变大形成一片喧哗.
* Small extra costs all swell the total. 零星的额外费用积少成多使总数增大了.
* The river was swollen with flood water. 洪水到来後河水上涨了.
3 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] ~ (sth) (with sth) (of a person, his heart, etc) feel like bursting with emotion （指人、内心等）感情迸发, 情绪高涨
*His breast/heart swelled with pride at his achievement. 他有了成绩而沾沾自喜.
4 (idm 习语) have a swelled/swollen `head (infml 口) be conceited, esp because of a sudden success 自负; （尤指因突然成功）冲昏头脑.
n [U, sing]
1 slow heaving of the sea with waves that do not break 海面的缓慢起伏（有浪而无浪花）
*feel seasick in the heavy swell 在猛烈起伏的海面上感到晕船.
2 (music 音) gradual increase in the volume of sound （音量的）逐渐增强.
adj (US infml 口)
1 fashionable or smart 时髦的; 漂亮的
*You look swell in that dress! 你穿着那件连衣裙真漂亮!
2 excellent; first-rate 极好的; 第一流的
*a swell vacation, player, guy 极好的假期、选手、小伙子
* That's swell! 真棒!
1. There is a swell of emotion within me for this stranger who so quickly came into and went from my life. 为这位迅速走进又很快走出我生活的陌生人，我心间涌起了一股感情。
2. His ankles began to swell. 他的脚踝肿起来了。