动词过去式:symboled 过去分词:symboled 现在分词:symboling 第三人称单数:symbols
syn-=with,together 表示“一起”、“同时”、“相似”之意 变化型 sy-,syl-,sym-
1 ~ (of sth) image, object, etc that suggests or refers to sth else; emblem 象徵; 标志
*The cross is the symbol of Christianity. 十字架是基督教的标志.
* The lion is the symbol of courage. 狮子是勇武的象徵.
2 ~ (for sth) mark or sign with a particular meaning, eg plus and minus signs in mathematics, punctuation marks, musical notation, etc 符号, 记号（如数学中的加减号、标点符号、乐谱等）
*On maps, a cross is the symbol for a church. 在地图上, 十字符号代表教堂.
* Au is the chemical symbol for gold. ｀Au＇是金的化学元素符号.
* algebraic signs and symbols 代数符号.
1400-1500; Language: Latin;Origin:
symbolum, from Greek
symbolon 'proof of who someone is, checked by comparing its other half'
, from symballein 'to throw together, compare'
, from syn- ( SYN-
) + ballein 'to throw'
a picture or shape that has a particular meaning or represents a particular organization or idea
→sign The symbol on the packet is a guarantee that the food has been produced organically.symbol of The dove is a symbol of peace.
a letter, number, or sign that represents a sound, an amount, a chemical substance etcsymbol for Fe is the chemical symbol for iron.
someone or something that represents a particular quality or ideasymbol of Space exploration provides a symbol of national pride.
1. Ever since then, the great monument has been a symbol of liberty for the millions of people who have passed through New York Harbour to make their homes in America. 从那时起，这座伟大的纪念碑对通过纽约港进入美国定居的千百万人来说就一直是自由的象征。
2. The zero tells the computer which is the left side of the symbol. 这个0是让计算机辨认条形码的左右。
3. Dove is the symbol of peace. 鸽子是和平的象征。
4. Uncle Sam soon replaced Brother Jonathan as American's most popular symbol. 很快，山姆大叔就取代了乔纳森大哥，成了最受美国人欢迎的象征。
5. Our leaders had failed to see that the emphasis on symbol manipulation at IIT left little room for social thought and much scope for the greedy outcomes of capital-driven business. 我们的领导人没有看到，当印度技术学院在重视计算机编程的时候，几乎没有留下任何空间让学生们去关心社会, 却给受资本驱使的企业的贪欲留下了极大的空间。
6. Let´s begin with what the shopper sees first, the Universal Products Code (UPC) symbol. 我们先来讲讲顾客首先会注意到的东西——通用条形码。
7. The trust could set up new institutes in India aimed at training students not in symbol manipulation, but in social thought. 这个信托机构可以在印度建立一所旨在培养关心社会、而不是计算机编程的学生的新型大学。
8. While the other side of Chaplin makes Monsieur Verdoux, the French wife killer, into a symbol of hatred for women. 而卓别林的另一面使他的《凡尔杜先生》，一个杀了妻子的法国人，成为了仇恨女人的象征。
9. For the thousands of women in this farming area two hours northeast of Nairobi, Ms. Mbogo suddenly became a symbol of the increasingly powerful political force women have become in Kenya and across Africa. 恩布市是一个位于内罗毕东北部的农业地区，距内罗毕需两个小时的车程。在肯尼亚乃至整个非洲，妇女的政治力量日益壮大。对于生活在此地的数千妇女来说，姆波戈成了这种力量的标志。
10. For all its concern about foreign cultural invasion and its defense against the pollution of the French language by English words, France's Socialist government has been untroubled about putting such a huge American symbol on the doorstep of the capi 尽管对外国文化的入侵感到不安，尽管要保护法语不受英语的污染，法国的社会党政府对将这么庞大的美国文化的象征放在首都门口却并不担忧，而是更多地关心其社会效果。