形容词:tailless 动词过去式:tailed 过去分词:tailed 现在分词:tailing 第三人称单数:tails
1 [C] movable part at the end of the body of a bird, an animal, a fish or a reptile 尾; 尾巴
*Dogs wag their tails when they are pleased. 狗一高兴就摇尾巴. =>illus at App
1 见附录1插图, page iii.
2 [C] thing like a tail in its shape or position 尾状物; 似尾的部位; 尾部
*the tail of a comet, a kite, an aircraft, a procession 彗星、风筝、飞机、行列的尾部.
3 [C] (dated infml 旧, 口) buttocks 屁股
*give sb a smack on the tail 打某人屁股一下.
4 [C] (infml 口) person following or watching sb (usu without being seen by him) 尾巴（跟踪者）
*put a tail on sb, ie tell sb to follow him 给某人安个尾巴（派某人跟踪他）.
5 tails [pl] (also `tailcoat [C]) man's long coat, divided and tapered at the back, worn as part of formal dress at weddings, etc 燕尾服. Cf 参看 morning coat (morning).
6 tails [sing v] side of a coin without the head of a person on it, turned upwards after being tossed 文面（硬币没有人头像的一面）. Cf 参看 heads(head1 5).
7 (idm 习语) have, etc one's tail betweenone's `legs (infml 口) be humiliated, dejected or defeated 夹着尾巴; 垂头丧气; 遭到失败. heads I win, tails you lose => head1. heads or tails? => head1. make head or tail of sth => head1. on sb's `tail following sb closely 紧跟某人. a sting in the tail => sting1. the tail wagging the `dog situation in which a minor part of sth is controlling or determining the course of the whole 尾巴摇狗（次要部分支配或决定全局）. turn `tail run away from a fight, etc （从冲突等场合中）逃走, 逃跑
*As soon as they saw us coming they turned tail and ran. 他们一看见我们来了, 掉头就跑.
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] follow (sb) closely, esp to watch where he goes and what he does 跟踪（某人）; 钉（某人）的梢
*He tailed the spy to his hotel. 他跟踪那间谍到他住的旅馆.
2 [Tn] remove the stalks of (fruit, etc) 除去（水果等）的柄、梗、蒂或把儿
*top and tail gooseberries 掐掉醋栗的尖儿和把儿.
3 (phr v) tail away; tail off
(a) become smaller, fewer, weaker, etc 变小; 变少; 变弱
*The number of tourists starts to tail off in October. 游客在十月份开始见少.
* The actor's voice tailed away as he forgot his lines. 那演员忘了台词, 说话的声音越来越小了.
(b) (of remarks, etc) end inconclusively （指言语等）不了了之
*His feeble excuses soon tailed off (into silence). 他的藉口站不住脚, 很快就没词儿了（不作声了）.
(c) fall behind in a straggling line 散落在後面.
1. English tramps didn't sport tiny moustaches, huge pants or tail coats: 英国流浪者并不留小胡子，也不穿肥大的裤子或燕尾服：
2. The sting of a wasp is in its tail. 黄蜂的螫针在尾部。
3. The dog wagged his tail when he saw his master. 这条狗见到主人就摇尾巴。
4. Here I was, at the tail end of my vacation after graduate school. 现在已到了我研究生院毕业的那个假期的尾声，
5. At last he got hold of the elephant´s tail. 最后他抓住了大象的尾巴，
6. Capture the fleeting. A good idea is like a rabbit. It runs by so fast, sometimes you see only its ears or tail. 捕捉稍纵即逝的想法。好的想法就像是只兔子，会飞快地跑走，有时我们只能看到它的耳朵或者尾巴。
7. It had a head like a horse, big blue eyes, shining silver skin, and a bright red tail. 它长着一个像马一样的头，有着大的蓝眼睛和闪闪发光的银色皮肤，还有一条鲜红色的尾巴。