名词:taxer 动词过去式:taxed 过去分词:taxed 现在分词:taxing 第三人称单数:taxes
1 [C, U] (sum of) money to be paid by people or businesses to a government for publicpurposes 税; 税额
*income/property/sales tax 所得[物业/营业]税
* value-added tax 增值税
* levy a tax on sth 对某物徵税
* direct/indirect taxes 直接[间接]税
* paid over
1000 in taxes last year 去年交纳1000多英镑的税
* [attrib 作定语] tax evasion 逃税. Cf 参看 duty 3, tariff 2.
2 (idm 习语) a tax on sth a burden or strain on sth 某物的负担或重负
*a tax on one's health, patience, strength, etc 对健康、耐力、体力等的影响.
1 impose a tax on (sb/sth); require (sb) to pay tax 对（某人[某事物]）徵税; 要求（某人）纳税
*tax luxuries 徵奢侈品税
* tax rich and poor alike 对贫富一律徵税
* My income is taxed at source, ie Tax is deducted from it before it is paid to me. 我的收入已先行扣除了所得税.
2 make heavy demands on (sth); strain 造成（某事物）的重负; 使超过极限
*His constant requests for help taxed our goodwill. 他不断要求我们帮助他, 过分利用了我们对他的好意.
* All these questions are beginning to tax my patience. 所有这些问题逐渐使我不胜其烦.
3 pay tax on (sth) 给（某物）纳税; 上税
*The car is taxed until July. 这辆汽车七月前已上税.
4 (idm 习语) tax one's/sb's brain(s) set sb/oneself a difficult mental task 给某人[自己]安排伤脑筋的工作
*This crossword will really tax your brain. 这纵横字谜真能让人大伤脑筋.
5 (phr v) tax sb with sth (fml 文) accuse sb of sth 指控某人某事
*She was taxed with negligence/with having been negligent. 她被指控疏忽职守. taxable adj that can be or is liable to be taxed 应纳税的; 可能需纳税的
*taxable earnings 应纳税的收入. taxing adj tiring or demanding 累人的; 烦人的; 繁重的
*a taxing job 烦人的工作.
1. The tax increases have affected us all. 加税已经影响了我们大家.
2. There is a definite congruity in the candidates´ approach to the tax problem. 候选人在对待税收问题的态度上有着明确的共同之处。
3. The government decided to levy a tax on tobacco; it had been free from tax. 政府决定征收烟草税，这向来是不征税的。
4. The retailers have to pay tax every month. 这些零售商每月都得纳税。
5. The Swedes were the first to recognize that public officials like civil servants, police officers, health inspectors or tax-collectors can make mistakes or act over-zealously in the belief that they are serving the public. 是瑞典人首先认识到政府工作人员如文职人员、警官、卫生稽查员、税务人员等等也会犯错误或者自以为在为公众服务而把事情做过了头。
6. This strip of paper will eventually list everything that the shopper has bought, what each item cost, the total price, the tax, how much money the shopper gave the checker, whether it was cash or a check, and the amount of change the shopper is to re 这一纸条最终会列出顾客买的每件物品，物品单价、总额、应付税额、顾客实交数额、是现金还是支票、应找回数额。
7. Now, Joe Gauld is trying to spread his controversial Character First idea to public, inner-city schools willing to use the tax dollars spent on the traditional program for the new approach. 现在，乔·高尔德(约瑟夫·高尔德)正试图将他尚有争议的"品德第一"的理念向市中心贫民区的公立学校推广。这些学校愿将用于传统教学计划的税金用于实施这一新的教学方法。
8. He was found guilty of tax evasion. 他被判决犯有偷税罪。
9. American families, which host foreign students, are not paid, though they are allowed a small income tax deduction. 虽然可以减免一小部分所得税, 接待海外留学生的美国家庭是不向学生收钱的。
10. Yes,it does. That´s why hookers are requesting the government to reduce their tax. 是的, 它限制了淫业的成长, 那就是妓女们正在要求政府减税的原因.