n.破处,破缝,泪滴,眼泪,扯,飞奔,激怒 vi.流泪,撕破,猛冲,飞奔,被撕破 vt.扯,撕,撕破,戳破,拉掉,折磨,使分裂,撕掉
动词过去式:tore 过去分词:torn 现在分词:tearing 第三人称单数:tears 名词:tearer
1 [C usu pl 通常作复数] drop of salty water coming from the eye, esp as the result of grief, irritation by fumes, etc 泪; 泪水; 泪珠
*A tear rolled down his cheek. 一滴泪珠沿着他的面颊流下来.
* a tear-stained face 带着泪痕的脸
* Her eyes filled with tears. 她眼泪汪汪的.
* a story that moved/reduced us to tears, ie made us cry 使我们感动得落泪的故事
* shed/weep bitter tears 流出痛苦的泪水
* He burst into tears, ie began to cry. 他哭了起来.
* The memory of his dead mother brought tears to his eyes. 他忆起去世的母亲便热泪盈眶.
2 (idm 习语) bore sb to death/tears => bore. crocodile tears => crocodile. in `tears crying 哭泣
*She was in tears over the death of her puppy. 她因小狗死去而哭泣.
v (pt tore / tR:(r); tRr/, pp torn / tR:n; tRrn/)
1 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p, Cn.a] pull (sth) forcibly apart or away or to pieces 将（某物）撕开、扯下或撕碎
*tear a sheet of paper in two 把一张纸撕成两半
* a torn handkerchief 撕破的手帕
* He tore his shirt on a nail. 他的衬衣让钉子挂破了.
* tear a parcel open 把包裹撕开.
(b) [Tn.pr] ~ sth (in sth) make (a hole or split) in sth in this way （在某物上）撕, 扯, 划, 刺（洞或裂口）
*The explosion tore a hole in the wall. 墙炸开一个洞.
2 (a)[Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] cause (sth) to be out of place by pullingsharply 撕下, 撕掉, 扯下, 扯掉（某物）
*tear a page out of a book, a notice down from a wall, the leaves off a tree 撕下一页书、从墙上撕下布告、从树上揪下树叶.
(b) [Tn.pr] ~ sb from sb/sth remove sb from sb/sth by force 强行使某人离开某人[某物]; 夺去; 揪走
*The child was torn from its mother's arms. 把孩子从母亲怀抱中夺走了. =>Usage at cut1 用法见cut1.
3 [I] become torn 撕碎; 撕裂; 撕破
*This cloth tears easily. 这布料容易撕破.
* Don't pull the pages so hard or they will tear. 别那么使劲扯书页, 那会撕破的.
4 [Tn, Tn.pr esp passive 尤用于被动语态] destroy the peace of (sth) 破坏（某物）的安宁; 扰乱
*a country torn by war 战乱不安的国家
* Her heart was torn by grief. 她肝肠寸断.
5 [Ipr, Ip]move (in the specified direction) very quickly or excitedly飞跑; 飞奔; 冲（向某方向）
*cars tearing past 飞驶而过的汽车
* She tore downstairs and out of the house shouting `Fire!' 她奔下楼梯, 冲出房门高喊｀着火了!
6 (idm 习语) tear sth a`part, to `shreds, to `bits, etc destroy or defeat sth completely; criticize sth harshly 彻底毁灭或击败某事物; 严厉地批评某事物
*tore his hopes to shreds 使他的希望彻底破灭
* The critics tore her new play to pieces. 剧评家们将她的新戏批评得一无是处. tear one's `hair (out) (infml 口) show great sorrow, anger, etc 表示极大的悲伤、愤怒等
*My boss is tearing his hair out about the delay in the schedule. 我们老板因进度拖延而气得七窍生烟. (be in) a tearing `hurry, `rush, etc (show) extreme or violent haste （显得）匆忙, 慌忙
*There's no need to be in such a tearing hurry we've got plenty of time. 用不着这样匆忙--我们有的是时间. tear sb ,limb from `limb (often joc 常作戏谑语) attack sb very violently 猛击某人. tear sb `off a strip; tear a `strip off sb (infml 口) scold sb severely 痛骂某人. ,that's `torn it (infml 口) that has spoilt our plans 那打乱了我们的计画; 那就糟了. wear and tear => wear1.
7 (phr v) tear at sth (with sth) attack sth violently, esp by cutting or ripping 撕扯或撕开某物
*tore at the meat with his bare hands 用他的手撕肉. tear oneself away (from sb/sth) leave sb/sth reluctantly 舍不得离开某人[某事物]
*Do tear yourself away from the television and come out for a walk. 你别舍不得离开电视了, 出去散散步吧. be torn between A and B have to make a painful choice between two things or people （在两个事物或人之间）作痛苦的抉择
*torn between love and duty 在爱情和职责间作痛苦的抉择. tear sth down bring sth to the ground by pullingsharply; demolish sth 弄倒某物; 拆除某物
*They're tearingdown these old houses to build a new office block. 他们正拆除这些旧房子以便建一座新办公楼. tear into sb/sth attack sb/sth physically or with words 攻击或抨击某人[某事物]. tear sth up destroy (a document, etc) by tearing 撕毁（文件等）
*She tore up all the letters he had sent her. 她把他写来的信都撕了.
* (fig 比喻) He accused the government of tearing up (ie repudiating) the negotiated agreement. 他控告政府撕毁（不履行）协议.
n hole or split caused by tearing （撕破的）洞或裂缝
*This fabric has a tear in it. 这织物上有个破洞.
1. Today, many wealthy people who could live anywhere in the world cannot tear themselves away from those cities, even though they continue to have many problems. 今天，虽然那里依然存在许多问题，但很多可以住在世界上任何其它地方的有钱的人们仍选择这两个城市居住。
2. She hesitated for a minute and stood still while a tear or two splashed on the worn red carpet. 她踌躇一了会儿,静静地站在那里,一两滴泪水溅落在破旧的红地毯上.
3. She hesitated for a minute and stood still while a tear or two splashed on the worn red carpet. 她踌躇一了会儿,静静地站在那里,一两滴泪水溅落在破旧的红地毯上.
4. “It's the specifics that tear roommates apart,” says the assistant director of residential programs at a university in Ohio. "都是具体的事情弄得室友四分五裂，"俄亥俄州一所大学的宿舍管理处主任助理如是说。
5. One single tear flows from her left eye, across the cheek and down onto the pillow. 一颗泪珠从她的左眼中渗出，滑过脸颊，落在枕上。