1 [U] all the years of the past, present and future 时间
*past/present/future time 过去的[现在的/将来的]时间
* The world exists in space and time. 世界存在于空间与时间之中.
2 [U] passing of these taken as a whole 时间流逝
*Time has not been kind to her looks, ie She is no longer as beautiful as she was. 岁月无情, 她已失去昔日的美貌.
* (old) Father Time, ie this process personified 时间老人（拟人化用法）.
3 [U] indefinite period in the future 未来的某段时间
*Time heals all wounds. 时间能医好一切创伤.
4 [U] portion or measure of time 一段时间
*That will take time, ie cannot be done quickly. 那要花费些时间.
* I don't have (much) time to read these days. 我这些日子没（什么）时间读书.
* We have no time to lose, ie We must hurry. 我们不能耽误时间了（要抓紧）.
* What a waste of time! 太浪费时间了!
* I spent most of my time (in) sightseeing. 我大部分时间都用在观光游览上了.
* I'm rather pressed for time, ie in rather a hurry. 我的时间很紧.
* What a (long) time you've been! 你花费那么长的时间了!
* I had a most unpleasant time at the dentist's. 我在牙医那里受了大罪.
5 [U] point of time stated in hours and minutes of the day 一天中以时、分表达的时间的某一点
*What time is it?/What is the time? 几点钟了?
* Do you have the time (on you)? 你知道现在几点了吗?
* My youngest daughter has just learnt to tell the time. 我最小的女儿刚学会看表. =>App 4,
6 [U, C] period of time measured in units (years, months, hours, etc) 以（年、月、小时等）单位计量的时间
*The winner's time was 11.6 seconds. 获胜者用的时间是11.6秒.
* He ran the mile in record time, ie faster than any previous runner. 他跑一英里的时间已创记录.
* Although she came second their times were only a tenth of a second apart. 她虽然得第二名, 但与第一名仅差十分之一秒. =>App 4, 5,
7 [U] measured time spent in work, etc 用于工作等的时间
*be on short time, ie a reduced working week 论星期开工时间不足
* paid time and a half/double time, ie paid one and a half times/twice the usual rate 付予一倍半[双倍]工资.
8 [U] point or period of time used, available or suitablefor sth （用于、有或适于）做某事的时间
*at the time you'respeaking of 在你所说的时间
* by the time we reached home 到我们回到家的时候
* last time I was there 我上次在那儿的时候
* every time I see her 每次我见到她的时候
* `lunch-time 午餐时间
* This is not the time to bring up that subject. 现在不是提那事的时候.
* Now's your time, ie opportunity. 你的机会来了.
* It's time we were going/time for us to go, ie We should leave now. 我们现在该走了.
* Time is up, ie The time allowed for sth is ended. 时间到了（规定的时间）.
* Time, please! ie warning that a pub is about to close. 请注意, 时间到了（酒馆营业时间结束的提醒语）.
9 [C] occasion; instance次数; 次; 回
*this, that, another, next, last, etc time 这、那、另一、下、上...次
* the time before last 上上次
* for the first, second, last, etc time 第一回、第二回、最後一回
* He failed his driving test five times. 他考驾驶执照五次都没及格.
* told sb umpteen, a dozen, countless, etc times (ie repeatedly) not to do sth 一再告诉某人别那样做.
10 [C often pl 常作复数]
(a) period of time associated with certain events, people, etc 时代; 时期
*in `Stuart times/the time(s) of the `Stuarts, ie when the Stuart kings ruled 在斯图亚特王朝时代
* in `ancient, prehis`toric, `recent, etc times 在古代、史前期、近代
* Mr Curtis was the manager in `my time, ie when I was working there. 我在那儿工作时, 柯蒂斯先生是经理.
* The house is old but it will last `my time, ie will serve me for the rest of my life. 这房子旧是旧了, 但在我有生之 年尚可居住.
(b) period of time associated with certain conditions, experiences, etc （与某情况、经历等有关的）时期
*University was a good time for me. 我的大学时期十分愉快.
* Times are hard for the unemployed. 失业者的日子很难熬.
* in time(s) of danger, hardship, prosperity,etc 在危险、艰苦、繁荣等时期.
11 [U] (music 音)
(a) type of rhythm 拍子
*`common time, ie two or four beats in each bar 普通拍子（每小节两拍或四拍）
* three `eight time, ie three quavers to the bar 八分之三拍
* in `waltz/`march time 以华尔兹[进行曲]的拍子
* beating time to the music 随乐曲打拍子.
(b) rate at which a piece of music is to be played; tempo （乐曲演奏的）速度
*quick time 快速.
12 (idm 习语) (and) about `time (`too) (infml 口) and this is sth that should have happened some time ago 早该发生的事; 早该如此
*I hear old Fred got promoted last week and about time too, I'd say. 我听说弗雷德上星期升职了--我看早就该升了. ahead of `time earlier than expected 提前. ahead of one's `time having ideas that are too advanced or enlightened for the period in which one lives 具有超前意识; 思想超越同时代的人. all the `time
(a) during the whole of the time in question （在该段时间内）一直
*That letter I was searching for was in my pocket all the time, ie while I was searching for it. 我找的那封信其实一直就在我口袋里.
(b) always 向来; 一向
*He's a business man all the time, ie He has no other interest. 他一向是做生意的. at `all times always 随时; 永远
*I'm at your service at all times. 我随时为您效劳. (even) at the best of times => best3. at `one time at some period in the past; formerly 一度; 从前
*At one time I used to go skiing every winter. 我有一度每到冬季就去滑雪. at `other times on other occasions 在其他时候; 也有时候
*Sometimes he's fun to be with; at other times he can be very moody. 有时候他很有风趣, 可也有时候脾气一上来就喜怒无常. at the same time => same. at a `time in sequence; separately 依次; 逐一; 每次
*Don't try to do everything at once; take it a bit at a time. 不要什么事情都一块儿干, 要一次做一点儿.
* Take the pills two at a time. 每次服两粒. at the `time at a certain moment or period in the past 在那时; 在那段时间
*I agreed at the time but later changed my mind. 我当时同意了, 但後来又变了主意.
* We were living in London at the time. 我们那阵儿住在伦敦. at `my, `your, `his, etc time of life at my, your, his, etc age 在我、你、他...这样的年纪
*He shouldn't be playing football at his time of life, ie He is too old for it. 在他这把年纪可不该踢足球了. at `times sometimes 有时; 间或. before one's `time before the period onecan remember or the point at which one became involved在本人记事之前; 在与本人有关的时刻之前
*The Beatles were a bit before my time. 披头士乐队风靡的时候我还不记事儿呢.
* The headquarters used to be in Bristol, but that was before my time, ie before I worked there. 总部当时设在布里斯托尔, 但那时我还没到总部工作. behind `time late 迟; 晚
*The plane was an hour behind time. 班机误点一小时.
* He's always behind time with the rent. 他总晚交租金. behind the `times no longer fashionable or modern in one's ideas, methods, etc 思想、方法等陈旧的; 过时的; 落伍的. better luck next time => better1. bide one's time => bide. the big time => big. born before one's time => born. borrowed time => borrow. buy time => buy. do `time (sl 俚) serve a prison sentence 服刑
*He's done time for armed robbery. 他曾因持械抢劫罪而服刑. every time whenever possible; whenever a choice can be made 无论何时; 任何时候
*Different people like different sorts of holiday, but give me the seaside every time. 各人有各人的度假方式, 我总是喜欢去海边. for old times' sake => old. for a `time for a short period 短时间内; 暂时. for the time `being until some other arrangement is made 暂且
*You'll have your own office soon but for the time being you'll have to share one. 你很快就有自己的办公室了, 不过暂时还得和别人合用一间. from/since ,time imme`morial (saying 谚) from/since longer ago than anyone can remember 自古以来. from ,time to `time now and then; occasionally 不时; 偶尔; 间或. gain time => gain2. give sb/have a rough, hard, etc `time (of it) (cause sb to) suffer, esp from harassment, overwork, etc （使某人）受折磨, 吃苦（尤指因烦扰、过劳等）. (in) half the time
(a) (in) a much shorter time than expected （以）远较预期短的时间
*If you'd given the job to me I could have done it in half the time. 你要是把这活儿交给我, 我早就做完了.
(b) a considerable time; too long a time 相当长的时间; 过长的时间
*I'm not surprised he didn't complete the exam
*he spent half the time looking out of the window. 他没答完试卷, 我并不感到奇怪
*他朝着窗外看了半天了. have an easy time => easy. have, etc a good `time enjoy oneself, generally or on a particular occasion 过得很愉快; 玩儿得很痛快. have/give sb a high old time => high1. have a lot of time for sb/sth (infml 口) be enthusiastic about sb/sth 对某人[某事物]极感兴趣. have no time for sb/sth be unable or unwilling to spend time on sb/sth; dislike sb/sth 不能或不愿为某人[某事]花费时间; 不喜欢某人[某事物]
*I've no time for lazy people/laziness. 我讨厌懒人[懒惰行为]. have a thin time => thin. have the ,time of one's `life (infml 口) be exceptionally happy or excited 异常高兴或兴奋
*The children had the time of their lives at the circus. 孩子们看马戏时别提多高兴了. have time on one's hands/time to kill (infml 口) have nothing to do 没事可做. have a whale of a time => whale. (it is) `high/a`bout time the time is long overdue when sth should happen or be done 早就该有某事或做某事了
*It's high time you stopped fooling around and started looking for a job. 你可别再游手好闲了, 也该找份工作了吧. in course of time => course1. in the fullness of time => fullness (full). in good time early 早
*There wasn't much traffic so we got there in very good time. 路上车不多, 所以我们早早就到那儿了. (all) in good `time after a reasonable or appropriate space of time, but not immediately 不消多久（但并非立刻）
*`Can we have lunch now I'm hungry.' `All in good time.' ｀咱们现在能吃午饭了吗--我饿了.＇｀很快就好了.＇ in the nick of time => nick1. in (less than) `no time very quickly 极快; 立即; 马上. in one's own good `time at the time or rate that one decides oneself 以自己定的时间和速度
*There's no point getting impatient with her; she'll finish the job in her own good time. 不必跟她着急, 她自己能找时间完成工作的. in one's own time in one's free time; outside working hours 在闲暇时; 业余时间. in one's own sweet time => sweet1. in one's `time at a previous period or on a previous occasion in one's life 在自己一生中一度
*I've seen some slow workers in my time but this lot are the slowest by far. 我以前倒也见过一些笨工人, 但是这群人可算是最笨的了. in `time sooner or later; eventually 迟早; 最後
*You'll learn how to do it in time. 你早晚能学会做这件事的. in time (for sth/to do sth) not late 及时; 不迟
*Will I be in time for the train/to catch the train? 我赶得上那趟火车吗? in/out of `time (music 音) in/not in the correct time1(11) 合[不合]节拍
*tapping one's fingers in time to/with the music 用手指合着音乐的拍子轻轻敲. it's only a matter of time => matter1. keep `time
(a) (of a clock or watch) show the correct time （指钟表）走得准
*My watch always keeps excellent time. 我的表非常准.
(b) sing or dance in time1(11) 按节拍唱歌或跳舞. keep up, move, etc with the `times change one's attitudes, behaviour, etc in accordance with what is now usual 随着潮流改变态度、行为等. kill time => kill. long time no see => long1. lose/waste no time (in doing sth) do sth quickly and without delay 赶紧做某事. make good, etc `time complete a journey quickly 路上花的时间很短. make up for lost time => lost2. `many's the time (that); `many a time many times; frequently 多次; 常常
*Many's the time (that) I've visited Rome. 我曾多次到罗马游览.
* I've visited Rome many a time. 我到罗马去游览过很多次. mark time => mark2.near her `time (of a pregnant woman) about to give birth （指孕妇）临产. ,nine times out of `ten; ,ninety-nine times out of a `hundred almost always 十之八九; 几乎总是. (there is) no time like the present (saying 谚) now is the best time to do sth 现在是做某事的最佳时机. once upon a time => once. on `time neither late nor early; punctually 按时; 准时:The train arrived (right/bang) on time. 火车正点到达.pass the time of day => pass2. play for `time tryto gain time by delaying （以拖延的手段）争取时间.procrastination is the thief of time => procrastination (procrastinate). a race against time => race1. quite some time => quite. a sign of the times => sign1. a stitch in time saves nine => stitch. take one's `time (over sth/to do sth/doing sth)
(a) use as much time as one needs; not hurry 要用多少时间就用多少; 不着急
*Take your time there's no rush. 你用多长时间都行--不着急.
(b) (ironic 反语) beunreasonably late or slow 晚得或慢得离谱
*You certainlytook your time getting here! 你来得这么晚, 也太不像话了! tell the time => tell. ,time after `time; ,time and (time) a`gain; ,times without `number on many occasions; repeatedly 无数次; 屡次; 一再. time and tide wait for `no man (saying 谚) no one can delay the passing of time (so one should not put off a favourable opportunity to do sth) 岁月不待人（机不可失）. time `flies (saying 谚) time passes quickly, esp more quickly than one realizes 光阴似箭
*Oh dear hasn't time flown! 天哪--时间如白驹过隙呀! time hangs/lies heavy on one's `hands time passes too slowly (esp because one has nothing to do) 时间过得太慢（尤指因无所事事）. time is on sb's `side sb can afford to wait before doing or achieving sth 某人有充足的时间等待做某事
*Although she failed the exam she has time on her side
*she'll still be young enough to take it in her next year. 她虽然没考及格但时间有的是, 她还年轻可以明年再考. the time is ripe for sth/sb to do sth it is the right moment for (doing) sth （做）某事的时机成熟. the time of `day the hour as shown by a clock （钟表指示的）时刻, 时间. time presses we must not delay 时间紧迫. time `was (when)... there has been a time when... 曾经有那么个时候...
*Time was you could get a good three-course meal for less than a pound. 那年头吃一顿三道菜的好饭还花不了一英镑. time (alone) will `tell, etc it will become obvious with the passing of time 时间能证明
*Time will show which of us is right. 时间能证明咱们谁对谁错. watch the time => watch2. work, etc against `time work, etc as fast as possible so as to finish by a specified time 尽快工作以按时完成; 赶任务.
1 [Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.t esp passive 尤用于被动语态] choose the time or moment for (sth); arrange the time of 选择（某事）的时机; 安排...的时间
*You've timed your holiday cleverly the weather's at its best. 你真会选度假时间--正是天气最好的时候.
* His remark was well/badly timed, ie made at a suitable/an unsuitable moment. 他说的话正合[不合]时宜.
* Kick-off is timed for 2.30. 足球开赛时间定于下午2时 30分.
* The train is timed to connect with the ferry. 火车时刻编排得可与渡轮运行时刻衔接.
* The bomb was timed to explode during the rush-hour. 炸弹选在人最多时爆炸.
2 [Tn] (sport 体) make (a stroke) or strike (the ball) at a certain moment （在某一时刻）发出（一击）或击（球）
*He timed that shot beautifully. 他这一击时间恰到好处.
3 [Tn, Tw] measure the time taken by (a runner, etc) or for (a race, process, etc) （为跑者、赛跑、某过程等）计时
*This egg is hard you didn't time it properly. 这鸡蛋煮老了--你没掌握好火候.
* Time me while I do/Time how long it takes me to do two lengths of the pool. 给我记一下我游一个来回的时间.