n.总数,合计 adj.总的,全部的,整个的 v.合计,总数达,达到
动词过去式:totaled/totalled 过去分词:totaled/totalled 现在分词:totaling/totalling 第三人称单数:totals/totals
adj [usu attrib 通常作定语] complete; entire 完全的; 全部的
*total silence 寂静无声
* the total number of casualties 伤亡者总数
* live in total ignorance (of sth) 全然不知（某事）
* That's total nonsense! 那是一派胡言!
* The firm made a total profit of 200000. 该公司的利润总额达200000英镑.
* total war, ie war waged with the full resources of a country 总体战
* a total eclipse of the sun/moon, ie one in which the sun/moon is completely obscured 日[月]全蚀
* a total waste of time 纯粹浪费时间.
1 total number or amount 总数; 总额
*What does the total come to? 总数是多少?
* England scored a total of
436 runs. 英格兰板球队获总分436分.
2 (idm 习语) in `total altogether 总共
*That will cost you 7.50 in total. 你总共要花7.50英镑.
v (-ll-; US also -l-) [Tn]
1 count the total of (sb/sth) 计算（人[事物]）的总和
*The takings haven't been totalled yet. 总营业额还未算出.
2 amount to (sth) 总数达（若干）
*He has debts totalling more than 200. 他负债总数超过200英镑.
3 (US sl 俚) wreck (esp a car) completely; destroy 彻底毁坏（尤指汽车）; 毁灭.
1. Is as the proportion of the total vocabulary of his mother tongue against those words of his own baby talk that are taken up into the vernacular of his family. 就好像他本国语言的总词汇量和自己咿呀学语时他家庭所接纳的他的词汇量之比。
2. When people added one extra day to February every four years, they were adding 24 hours, whereas they should have added only 4 times 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds — a total of 23 hours, 15 minutes and 4 seconds. 人们每四年给2月增加一天，这就增加了24小时，但实际上他们应该增加4个5小时48分46秒——一共是23小时15分4秒。
3. That will be a total of eighty N T. 那总共八十台币.
4. This strip of paper will eventually list everything that the shopper has bought, what each item cost, the total price, the tax, how much money the shopper gave the checker, whether it was cash or a check, and the amount of change the shopper is to re 这一纸条最终会列出顾客买的每件物品，物品单价、总额、应付税额、顾客实交数额、是现金还是支票、应找回数额。
5. That means as many as 400,000 new cases of AIDS could occur in the next few years — more than doubling the present total. 这就意味着在之后几年里会有多达40万个新的艾滋病病例--这是目前艾滋病病例的两倍多。
6. The biggest foreign producers are Colombia and Ecuador, which accounted for almost 90% of the total imported last year. 最大的国外生产商是哥伦比亚和厄瓜多尔，去年它们几乎占了进口总量的90%。
7. Total travel time, including getting on and off the train: 1 hour, 35 minutes. 包括上下火车，总共需要的时间为1小时35分钟。
8. This commitment does not mean surrendering our total selves to each other; nor does it imply that the relationship is necessarily permanent. 这种承诺并非意味着完全把自己交给对方，也并不是说这一关系一定要永远不变。
9. Total darkness came as a result of a swelling of the nerve leading to his eye — a condition that was unrelated to the eye disease that had limited his vision since birth. 双目失明是由视神经发炎膨胀造成的--这病与他的眼疾无关。自出生起他就有眼疾，视力有限。
10. At the end of each business day, the remotely-located computer gives the store manager a total picture of the day´s transactions. 在每天的营业结束时，电脑能使商店经理了解到全天的销售情况。