n.痕迹,踪迹,微量,迹线,缰绳 vt.描绘,映描,画轮廓,追踪,回溯,探索 vi.上溯,沿路走
动词过去式:traced 过去分词:traced 现在分词:tracing 第三人称单数:traces 副词:traceably 形容词:traceable 名词:traceability
1 [C, U] mark, track, sign, etc showing what has existed or happened 踪迹; 痕迹; 形迹
*traces of prehistoric habitation 史前居民的遗迹
* The police have been unable to find any trace of the gang. 警方一直未能找到那团伙的任何踪迹.
* We've lost all trace of him, ie We no longer know where he is. 我们现在不知道他的下落了.
* The ship had vanished without trace. 那船消失得无影无踪.
2 [C] very small amount 极微的量
*The post-mortem revealed traces of poison in his stomach. 验尸发现他胃中有微量毒物.
* He spoke without a trace of emotion. 他说话时毫不动感情.
1 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (to sth) follow or discover sb/sth by finding and noticing marks, tracks or other evidence 追踪; 跟踪; 追溯; 探索; 查出
*I cannot trace the letter to which you refer. 我查不到你提到的那封信.
* Archaeologists have traced many Roman roads in Britain. 考古学家在英国发现了许多古罗马的道路.
* The criminal was traced to Glasgow. 追踪那个罪犯直追到格拉斯哥.
(b) [Tn] describe the development of (sth) 描述（某事）的发展过程
*a book which traces the decline of the Roman empire 叙述罗马帝国衰亡的书.
2 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sth (back) (to sth)find the origin of sth 找出某事的根源
*He traces his descent back to an old Norman family. 他追踪自己的世系上溯至一个古老的诺曼家族.
* Her fear of water can be traced back to a childhood accident. 她很怕水, 起因可归于儿时的一次事故.
* The cause of the fire was traced to a faulty fuse-box. 起火的原因已查出是因保险丝盒中有短路.
3 [Tn, Tn.p] ~ sth (out)
(a) sketch or indicate the outline of sth 画出或描绘出某物的轮廓
*We traced out our route on the map. 我们在地图上画出我们的路线.
* (fig 比喻) Those who came later followed the policies he had traced out. 後来的人都按他制定的方针政策行事.
(b) form letters, etc slowly and with difficulty 缓慢而费力地写字等
*He traced his signature laboriously. 他吃力地签上自己的名字.
4 [Tn] copy (a map, drawing, etc) on transparent paper placed over it （将透明纸置于地图、图画等上）复制, 描摹.
1 (usu pl 通常作复数) either of the two straps, chains or ropes by which a horse is attached to and pulls a wagon, carriage, etc 挽绳; 挽缰. =>illus at harness 见 harness 插图.
2 (idm 习语) kick over the traces => kick1.
1. By measuring how closely current populations are related, the authors trace the routes by which early humans migrated around the earth. 通过测定当前人类种群间的亲缘关系，作者们弄清了地球上早期人类迁移的路线。
2. For fear the agents of other firms should be able to trace the kind of research they are likely to be undertaking. 他们生怕别的公司的情报人员据此摸到他们可能要从事的某项科研项目。
3. We must trace the source of these noxious gases before they asphyxiate us. 在我们被这些有毒气体窒息之前, 必须查出其来源。
4. There was no trace of fingerprints, 巡官没有发现指纹，
5. This time, no trace of the boat — or the crew — was ever found. 这一次，除了船员，连船也不见了踪影。
6. Here you can trace the history of China from its earliest beginnings to the modern era. 在这里你可以追寻到中国人从远古到现代的全部历史。
7. He went to the police, to the cab companies, every place where a trace of hope led him. 他找了警察局，找了出租马车公司，找遍了每一个有一线希望的地方。
8. A rescue plane was sent to search for the missing aircraft, and it, too, disappeared without trace. 一架救援飞机被派出去搜寻失踪的飞机，但同样，它也消失得无影无踪。
9. Stone does not decay, and so the tools of long ago have remained when even the bones of the men who made them have disappeared without trace. 石头是不会腐烂的。因此，尽管制造这些工具的人的骨头早已荡然无存，但远古时代的石头工具却保存了下来。