n.贸易,商业,交易,生意,职业,行业,[气]信风,顾客 vi.交易,买卖,经商,对换,购物 vt.用...进行交换
动词过去式:traded 过去分词:traded 现在分词:trading 第三人称单数:trades 形容词:tradable
1 (a) [U] ~ (with sb/sth) exchange of goods or services for money or other goods; buying and selling 交易; 贸易; 商业; 买卖
*Since joining the Common Market, Britain's trade with Europe has greatly increased. 英国自从加入共同市场以来, 与欧洲的贸易大增.
* Trade is always good (ie Many goods are sold) over the Christmas period. 圣诞节期间生意一向很好.
* [attrib 作定语] a trade agreement 贸易协定.
(b) [C] ~ (in sth) business of a particular kind （某种）行业, 生意
*be in the `cotton, `furniture, `book trade, ie sell or make cotton, furniture, etc 以棉花、家具、书籍生意为业
* The country earns most of its income from the tourist trade. 这个国家的大部分收入来自旅游业.
* The new shop has been doing a brisk trade in cut-price clothes. 那新商店做减价服装生意一直很兴隆.
2 (a) [U, C] way of making a living, esp a job that involves making sth; occupation 谋生之道（尤指以制造某物为业）; 手艺; 职业
*be a butcher, carpenter, tailor, etc by trade 做肉商、木匠、裁缝等
* Basket-weaving is a dying (ie declining) trade. 编篮子这一行已逐渐衰落.
* The college offers courses in a variety of trades. 该学院开设多种职业课程.(b) the trade [Gp] people or firm engaged in a particularbusiness （做某种生意的）同行的人或商行
*We sell cars to the trade, not to the general public. 我们向经销商出售汽车, 不卖给一般人.
* offer discounts to the trade 对同行的人给予优惠. =>Usage 见所附用法.
3 (idm 习语) do a roaring trade => roaring (roar). a jack of all trades => jack1. ply one's trade => ply2. the tricks of the trade => trick.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
1 Employment is formal and official. *employment是庄重的公文用词. It indicates the state of having paid work 这个词指有可获报酬的工作
*The national employment figures are published every month. 全国就业人数按月公布.
* Are you in gainful employment? ie Do you have a paid job? 你有有报酬的工作吗?
* Employment agencies help people to find work. 职业介绍所可帮助人寻找工作.
2 Occupation and job indicate a particular type of paid work. *occupation和job指有报酬的某种工作. Occupation is more formal and is used additionallyof work which may not provide a regular income *occupation一词较文, 还可指不一定有固定收入的工作
*`What's his job?' `He's a lorry driver, teacher, etc.' ｀他做什么工作?＇｀他是卡车司机、教师等.＇
*Artist, eg when filling in a form 职业
* Do you get any job satisfaction? 你能从工作中得到乐趣吗?
3 A profession is an occupation which requires higher education and specific training. *profession指需要受过较高深教育和专门训练才能从事的职业. A trade requires training and skill with the hands *trade指需要受过训练有手艺的职业
*She's alawyer by profession. 她的职业是律师.
* He's a carpenterby trade. 他的职业是木匠.
1 [I, Ipr] ~ (in sth) (with sb) engage in trade; buy and sell 做生意; 做买卖
*The firm is trading (ie doing business) at a profit/loss. 这个公司做买卖赚钱[赔钱].
* a company which has ceased trading, ie gone out of business 已停业的公司
* Britain's trading partners in Europe 英国在欧洲的贸易伙伴
* a firm which trades in arms, textiles, grain 经营军火、纺织品、谷物的公司
* ships trading between London and the Far East 往来于伦敦和远东进行贸易的商船
* an increase in the number of firms trading with Japan 同日本贸易的公司数目增加.
2 [Ipr] ~ at sth (US) buy goods at (a particular shop) 在（某商店）买东西
*Which store do you trade at? 你常在哪个商店买东西?
3 [Tn.pr, Dn.n] ~ (sb) sth for sth exchange sth for sth else; barter sth for sth 用一物交换另一物; 以物易物
*She traded her roller-skates for Billy's portable radio. 她拿旱冰鞋换了比利的手提收音机.
* I'll trade you my stamp collection for your model boat. 我想用我搜集的邮票换你的模型船.
* I wouldn't trade my job for anything, ie because I enjoy it so much. 我这个工作给我什么都不换.
4 (phr v) trade sth in (for sth) give (a used article) to a seller as part of the payment for a new article 用（旧物）贴换新物
*He traded in his car for a new model. 他把旧汽车折价添钱买了辆新型号的. trade sth off (against sth) give sth up (in exchange for sth else) as a compromise 放弃某物作为让步（以换取他物）
*The company is prepared to trade off its up-market image against a stronger appeal to teenage buyers. 该公司拟改变只售高档商品的形像, 以吸引青少年顾客. trade on sth (esp derog 尤作贬义) make use of sth for one's own advantage 利用某事谋取私利
*You shouldn't trade on her sympathy. 你不应该利用她的同情心.
* He trades on his father's reputation. 他用他父亲的名誉牟利.
1. Britain has allied itself with other western powers for trade and defence. 英国与其他西方强国结成了贸易及防御联盟.
2. This trade agreement is advantageous to both countries. 这个贸易协定对两国都有利。
3. The UN put an embargo on trade with Iraq as sanctions. 联合国对伊拉克实行贸易限制作为制裁。
4. The trade union leader spoke about the grievances of the workmen. 工会的领袖述说工人们的苦情。
5. Trade between the two countries was interrupted by the war. 两国间贸易因战争而中断.
6. This trade has not been legalized. 这种行业还没有被法律许可。
7. These days, it is differences in national regulations, far more than tariffs, that put sand in the wheels of trade between rich countries. 当前，是各国管理条例上的差异，而不是关税阻碍了发达国家之间的贸易。
8. They hope to finish in time for a trade summit between America and the EU on May 28th. 他们希望尽早达成协议，为5月28日举行的美国和欧洲贸易的最高通级会议作准备。
9. To know what is going on outside our country, to tell our friends abroad what is going on in China, to carry out international trade — to do all this, a good command of foreign languages is necessary. 无论了解国际动态，向国外的朋友通报国内新闻，还是要进行国际贸易，都需要熟练地掌握外语。
10. He is a butcher by trade. 他的职业是屠夫。