n.跌倒,摔跤,翻斤斗 vi.翻倒,摔倒,倒塌,滚动,翻筋斗,仓惶地行动 vt.使摔倒,使滚翻,弄乱
动词过去式:tumbled 过去分词:tumbled 现在分词:tumbling 第三人称单数:tumbles
1 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn.pr, Tn.p] (cause sb/sth to) fall, esp helplessly or violently, but usu without serious injury （使某人[某物]）倒下, 坠落（尤指身不由己或猛劲儿, 但通常并无重伤）
*tumble down the stairs, off a bicycle, out of a tree, over a step, etc 从楼梯上滚下、从自行车上摔下、从树上掉下、绊倒在台阶上
* Toddlers keep tumbling over. 学步的儿童老是摔跤.
* The children tumbled (ie pushed) each other (over) in the snow. 孩子们互相推来推去倒在雪地上了.
(b) [I] fall rapidly in value or amount （价格或数量）急遽下降
*Share prices tumbled on the stock-market. 股市上股票价格暴跌.
2 [I, Ipr, Ip] roll to and fro or over and over or up and down in a restless and disorderly way 打滚; （不安地和胡乱地）翻滚
*The puppies were tumbling about on the floor. 小狗在地板上打着滚.
* The stream tumbled over the rocks. 溪水滚滚流过岩石.
* The breakers came tumbling onto the shore. 浪涛滚滚而来拍打着岸边.
3 [Ipr, Ip] ~ into/out of sth; ~ in/out move or rush in the specified direction in a headlong or blundering way 急促地或胡乱地朝某方向移动或猛冲
*I threw off my clothes and tumbled into bed. 我脱掉衣服倒在床上便睡了.
* The children tumbled into/out of the car. 孩子们一窝蜂上了[下了]汽车.
* My shopping bag broke and everything tumbled out. 我的购物袋破了, 东西纷纷都掉了出来.
4 [Tn, Tn.p] rumple or disarrange (sth) 弄乱, 搅乱（某物）
*The wind tumbled her hair. 风把她的头发吹乱了.
* The bedclothes were tumbled (about) as though the bed had been slept in. 床上的被褥都弄乱了, 好像有人睡过觉.
5 (phr v) tumble down fall into ruin; collapse 已残破不堪; 倒塌; 垮掉
*The old barn we bought to convert into flats was practically tumbling down. 那个旧谷仓我们买下想改建住房的, 实际上已经快塌了. tumble to sb/sth (infml 口) realize the true character of sb or grasp a hidden meaning, etc 看穿某人或了解到隐含的意义等
*I tumbled to him/to what he was up to when I found some of his letters to Jane. 我发现了他写给简的一些信, 赫然了解了他的为人[他居心何在].
1 [C] helpless or violent fall （身不由己的或猛力的）倒下; 摔倒; 跌跤; 坠落; 倒塌
*have/take a nasty tumble 重重跌一跤.
2 [sing] untidy or confused state 混乱; 杂乱
*bedclothes in a tumble on the floor 散乱在地上的被褥.