* MOVEMENT AROUND A CENTRAL POINT 围绕一中心转动
1 [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr] (cause sth to) move round a point or an axis （使某物）转动, 旋转
*The hands of a clock turn very slowly. 时钟的指针走得很慢.
* The earth turns (ie rotates) on its axis once every
24 hours. 地球每24小时自转一圈.
* The wheels of the car began to turn. 汽车的轮子开始转动.
* This tap turns easily/It's easy to turn this tap. 这水龙头好拧.
* She turned the handle but the door wouldn't open. 他旋动把手, 但门就是打不开.
* He turned the key in the lock. 他转动钥匙开锁.
* She turned the steering-wheel sharply to the left to avoid a cyclist. 她猛然向左转动方向盘避开一个骑车的人.
2 [I, Ip, Tn, Tn.p] ~ (sb/sth) (over) (cause sb/sth to) move so that a different side faces outwards or upwards （使某人[某物]）翻转, 翻过来
*If you turn over you might find it easier to get to sleep. 你翻翻身, 就容易睡着了.
* Brown the meat on one side, then turn it (over) and brown the other side. 先把肉的一面烤好, 然後翻过来烤另一面.
* He sat there idly turning the pages of a book. 他无聊地坐在那儿翻着书.
* She turned the chair on its side to repair it. 她把椅子翻转过来修理.
* You've turned your jumper inside out. 你的套头毛衣里外穿反了.
* Turn the record over and put on (ie start to play) the other side. 把唱片翻过来放另一面.
3 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] (cause sb/sth to) change position or direction so as to face or start moving in the specified direction （使某人[某物]）转向, 转弯
*About/Left/Right turn! ie as military commands 向後[左/右]转!
* It's time we turned and went back home. 我们该返回家去了.
* She turned to look at me. 她转过身来看着我.
* He turned towards her. 他转向她.
* We turned off the motorway at Lancaster. 我们在兰开斯特转弯离开了高速公路.
* (fig 比喻) Her thoughts turned to (ie She began to think about) her dead husband. 她转而想起死去的丈夫.
* He turned his back to the wall. 他转过身去背对着墙.
* She turned (her face) away in embarrassment.她不好意思地扭过脸去.
(b) [I] (of the tide) start to come in or go out （指潮水）开始涨或落
*The tide is turning; we'd better get back. 涨潮了, 咱们最好回去吧.
4 [Tn.pr] aim or point (sth) in the specified direction 瞄准或指向（某物）
*Police turned water-cannon on the rioters, ie to disperse them. 警察用高压水龙头对准闹事的人（驱散他们）.
* They turned their dogs on us. 他们放狗咬我们.
* She turned her eyes towards him. 她的眼睛朝他看.
* (fig 比喻) It's time to turn our attention to the question of money. 咱们该考虑钱的问题了.
* POINTING OR SENDING SOMETHING IN A PARTICULAR DIRECTION 朝着某方向（送某事物）
5 [Tn.pr, Tn.p, Cn.a] cause (sb/sth) to go in the specified direction 使（某人[某物]）向某方向走
*turn a horse into a field 把马放进一片地里
* turn a boat adrift 让船漂流
* It would be irresponsible to turn such a man loose on society. 把这样的人放在社会上不加管束是不负责任的.
6 [Tn.p] fold (sth) in the specified way 摺起, 翻转（某物）
*She turned down the blankets and climbed into bed. 她掀起毯子上床去了.
* He turned up the collar of his coat and hurried out into the rain. 他竖起大衣领子, 匆匆冒雨出去了.
* CHANGING DIRECTION 改变方向
7 [Ipr, Tn] ~ (round) sth go round sth 绕过某物
*The car turned (round) the corner and disappeared from sight. 那辆汽车一转弯就不见了.
* She waved to me as she turned the corner. 她拐弯时向我挥了挥手.
8 [Ln, Ipr] (of a river, road, etc) curve in the specified direction （指河流、道路等）朝某方向转弯
*The river turns north at this point. 这条河从这里转向北方.
* Just before the trees the path turns sharply right. 这条小路就在那片树前向右急转.
* The road turns to the left after the church. 这条路在经过教堂之後向左转弯.
9 [Tn no passive 不用于被动语态] perform (the specified movement) by moving one's body in a circle 表演（旋转动作）
*turn cartwheels/somersaults 作侧手翻[翻筋斗]
* She turned a pirouette on the ice. 她在冰上做了个单足旋转动作.
* CHANGING STATE OR FORM 改变状态或形式
10 (a) [La, Ln, Cn.a] (cause sb/sth to) become （使某人[某事物]）变成, 成为
*The milk turned sour in the heat/The heat turned the milk sour. 牛奶在高温下变酸了.
* He turned nasty when we refused to give him the money. 我们不给他钱, 他就凶相毕露了.
* Leaves turn brown in autumn. 叶子一到秋天就黄了.
* The weather has turned cold and windy. 天气变得寒冷而多风.
* She turned a deathly shade of white when she heard the news. 她听到这消息时吓得面无人色.
* He's a clergyman turned politician, ie He was formerly a clergyman but is now a politician. 他以前是个教士, 现在成了政治家了. =>Usage at become 用法见become.
(b) [Tn] (not in the continuous tenses 不用于进行时态) reach or pass (the specified age or time) 达到或超过（某年龄或时间）
*She turned forty last June. 她在刚过去的六月份满四十岁.
* It's turned midnight. 已经午夜了.
11 [Ipr, Tn.pr] ~ (sb/sth) (from A) to/into B (cause sb/sth to) pass from one condition or state to another one （使某人[某事物]）由一种状况转为另一种状况
*Caterpillars turn into butterflies. 毛虫能变成蝴蝶.
* Water turns into ice when it freezes. 天气极冷时水能结成冰.
* His expression changed from bewilderment to horror as he realized what had happened. 他初时一愣, 等他明白过来就害怕了.
* The experience has turned him into a sad and embittered man. 他经此一役变成了一个凄苦而忧伤的人.
* The witch turned the prince into a frog. 女巫把王子变成了青蛙.
* The novel was turned into a successful Hollywood film. 那部小说搬上好莱坞银幕後十分成功.
12 [Tn] shape (sth) on a lathe 用车床加工（某物）; 车削（某物）
*turn a chair leg 在车床上车椅子的腿.
13 [I, Tn] (cause sth to) become sour （使某物）变酸
*The thundery weather has turned the milk. 在雷雨欲来的天气牛奶变酸了.
14 [I, Tn] (of the stomach) have a sick feeling; cause (the stomach) to have a sick feeling （指胃）不适, 作呕, 恶心; 使（胃）不适
*The sight of the greasy stew made his stomach turn/turned his stomach. 他一看见油腻的炖肉就恶心.
15 (idm 习语) as it/things turned `out as was shown or proved by later events 正如事後表明或证实的那样; 果然如此
*I didn't need my umbrella, as it turned out, ie because it didn't rain. 我原本就不必带伞的, 果不其然（并未下雨）. be well, badly, etc turned `out be well, badly, etc dressed 穿装打扮得好、不好等
*Her children are always smartly turned out. 她的孩子都总是穿得漂漂亮亮的. turn round and do sth (infml 口) say or do sth that displeases sb 说的或做的令人不快
*How could she turn round and say that, after all I've done for her. 我为她辛辛苦苦, 她怎么竟说出那样的话来. (For other idioms containing turn, see entries for ns, adjs, etc 与turn搭配的其他习语见有关名词、形容词等的词条, 如 not turn a hair => hair; turn a deaf ear => deaf.)
16 (phr v) ,turn a`bout (often used in the form a,bout `turn as a military command 常用about turn这一形式作为军事口令) (esp of soldiers) move so as to face in the opposite direction （尤指军人）向後转
*The colonel ordered the troops to turn about. 上校命令部队向後转.
* `About turn!' barked the sergeant-major. ｀向後转!＇军士长厉声喊道.
1 [C] act of turning sth/sb round; turning movement 转动; 旋转
*give the handle a few turns 将那把手转动几下.
2 [C] change of direction; point at which this occurs 方向的改变; 转折; 转折点
*He took a sudden turn to the left. 他突然向左转.
3 [C] bend or corner in a road （道路的）转弯处
*a lane full of twists and turns 弯弯曲曲的胡同
* Don't take the turn too fast. 转弯时不要太快.
4 [C] development or new tendency in sth 发展变化; 新的趋势
*an alarming turn in international relations 国际关系中令人震惊的新情况
* an unfortunate turn of events 事态的不利变化
* Matters have taken an unexpected turn. 事情发生了意想不到的变化.
* Business has taken a turn for the better/worse. 生意转好[坏]了.
5 [C usu sing 通常作单数] time when each one of a group must or may do sth （轮到的）机会
*Please wait (until it is/for) your turn to be served. 请等一等就轮到为您服务了.
* Whose turn is it to do the washing-up? 轮到谁刷锅洗碗了?
* I'll take a turn at the steering-wheel. 该轮到我来驾驶了.
6 [C] short walk; stroll 短时间行走; 散步; 溜达
*I think I'll take a turn round the garden. 我想到花园去转转.
7 [C] short performance by a comedian, singer, etc （喜剧演员、歌手等的）短小节目
*a comedy, song-and-dance, variety, etc turn 喜剧、歌舞、杂耍等节目
* The star turn (ie main performance) was a young rock group. 主要的节目是一个青年摇滚乐队的表演.
8 (infml 口)
(a) [sing] nervous shock 惊吓; 震惊
*You gave me quite a turn, bursting in like that! 你那样闯进来, 吓了我一跳.
(b) [C] feeling of illness 疾病的发作; 不适
*She's had one of her turns. 她的病犯了.
9 (idm 习语) at every `turn everywhere or all the time 处处; 次次
*I keep meeting him at every turn. 我每次都遇见他.
* She found her plans frustrated at every turn. 她觉得她的计画到处碰壁. by `turns (of people or their actions) one after the other; in rotation （指人或人的动作）轮流地, 逐个地
*We did the work by turns. 我们是轮流做这项工作的.
* He gets cheerful and depressed by turns. 他的情绪高一阵低一阵. do sb a good/bad `turn be helpful/unhelpful to sb 对某人有好处[坏处]. done, etc to a `turn (of meat, etc) cooked for exactly the right length of time （指肉等）火候恰当. have, etc an enquiring, etc turn of `mind have, etc a particular way of thinking about things, tackling a problem, etc （对事情、处理问题等）有独特的思想方法
*She's always shown an academic turn of mind. 她总是表现出学究式的思想方法. in `turn one after the other; in succession 依次; 逐个地
*The girls called out their names in turn. 那些女孩儿逐一报出自己的名字. not do a hand's turn => hand1. on the `turn about to change or go a different way 即将改变或另走一条路
*His luck is on the turn. 他时来运转了.
* This milk is on the turn, ie about to become sour. 这牛奶快要变酸了. ,one good ,turn deserves a`nother (saying 谚) one should help or be kind to others who have been kind to one in the past 要以德报德. ,out of `turn
(a) before or after one's turn2(5) 在轮到自己之前或之後.
(b) not at the correct or permitted time 不合时宜; 未按规定时间
*speak out of turn, ie in a tactless or foolish way 讲话不策略. serve one's/sb's turn => serve. take `turns (at sth) do sth one after the other 轮流做某事
*You can't both use the bike at once you'll have to take turns. 你们不能两人同时用这辆自行车--得轮流使用. (do sth) ,turn and ,turn a`bout one after another; in succession 交替; 轮流. a/the turn of events change or development in circumstance, often unexpected or beyond one's control 情况的改变或发展（常指未料到的或无法控制的）. a ,turn of `phrase way of expressing or describing sth 表达方式; 描述方式; 措辞
*She has an apt turn of phrase for summing up a situation. 她很善于总结情况. a ,turn of the `screw extra amount of pressure, cruelty, etc added to a situation that is already difficult to bear or understand 在已不堪忍受的情况下增加的压力或残酷做法. a ,turn of `speed (ability to achieve) a sudden increase in one's speed or rate of progress （达到）速度或进度的突然加快（的能力）
*She put on an impressive turn of speed to overtake the others. 她突然奋勇加速力图超过别人. the ,turn of the `year/`century the time when a new year/century starts 年度[世纪]的新旧交替时期; 一年之始; 世纪之初.