n.一扭,扭曲,盘旋,曲折,歪曲,手法,螺旋状 vt.拧,扭曲,绞,搓,捻,使苦恼,使转动,编织 vi.扭弯,扭曲,缠绕,扭动,呈螺旋形
副词:twistingly 动词过去式:twisted 过去分词:twisted 现在分词:twisting 第三人称单数:twists 形容词:twistable 名词:twistability
1 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sth (round sth/round) coil or wind sth round sth else 使某物缠绕或盘绕另一物
*I twisted the bandage round her knee. 我用 带缠住了她的膝盖.
* The telephone wirehas got twisted, ie tangled. 电话线缠绕在一起了.
(b) [Ipr,Ip] move or grow by winding round sth 以缠绕或盘绕方式运动或生长
*The snake twisted round my arm. 那条蛇盘绕在我的手臂上.
* The sweet peas are twisting up the canes. 香豌豆沿藤向上蔓生.
2 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (into sth) turn or wind (threads, etc) to make them into a rope, etc 把（线等）捻或搓成绳等
*We twisted the bed sheets into a rope and escaped by climbing down it. 我们把床单搓成绳子, 援绳下坠逃跑了.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (from sth) make (a rope, etc) by doing this 捻成或搓成（绳子等）
*twist a cord from/out of silk threads 把丝线搓成绳子.
3 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr] bend or crush (sth) so as to spoil its natural shape 扭曲或挤压（某物）使之变形
*His face was twisted with pain. 他疼得龇牙咧嘴.
* The car was now just a pile of twisted metal. 那辆汽车已经成了一堆压缩的废铁了.
* (fig 比喻) Failure left her bitter and twisted. 她失败後痛苦不堪, 失去常态.
(b) [I, Ipr] be bent or crushed in this way 扭曲或挤压变形
*The metal frame tends to twist under pressure. 这种金属框受压後容易变形.
4 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] turn (sth) round; revolve 转动（某物）; 旋转
*Twist the knob to the right setting. 把旋钮拧到适当的定位挡上.
* I twisted my head round to reverse the car. 我扭过头去把汽车向後倒.
(b) [I, Ipr, Ip] turn round; revolve 转动; 旋转
*I twisted round in my seat to speak to her. 我坐在位子上转过身来跟她说话.
* She was still twisting about in pain. 她疼得一个劲儿地打滚.
5 [I, Ipr, Ip] (eg of a road) change its direction often; wind （道路等）曲折, 盘旋
*Downstream the river twists and turns a lot. 这条河的下游弯弯曲曲.
* The path twisted down (the hillside). 那条小路（沿山坡）蜿蜒而下.
6 [Tn] injure (eg one's wrist) by turning it too far; sprain 扭伤（腕部等）; 歪
*a twisted ankle 扭伤的踝关节.
7 [Tn, Tn.pr] deliberately give a false meaning to (words, etc) （故意）歪曲或曲解（词等）的意义
*The papers twisted everything I said. 报纸把我的话全都歪曲了.
* The police tried to twist his statement into an admission of guilt. 警方企图把他的话歪曲成承认有罪.
8 [I, Tn] (in billiards) (cause a ball to) move in a curved path while spinning （台球）（使球）侧旋前进.
9 (idm 习语) ,twist sb's `arm (infml 口) persuade or force sb to do sth 说服或强迫某人做某事
*She'll let you borrow the car if you twist her arm. 你要是硬要她把汽车借给你, 她就借给你. twist sb round one's little `finger (infml 口) (know how to) get sb to do anything that one wants （知道怎样）任意摆布某人
*Jane has always been able to twist her parents round her little finger. 简总是能够让父母顺着她.
10 (phr v) twist (sth) off (sth) (cause sth to) come or break off with a twisting movement （将某物）拧开, 扭断
*The cap should twist off easily. 这个帽儿应该容易拧开.
* I can't twist off the lid. 我拧不开这个盖子.
1 [C] act of twisting sth (twist1 2, 4, 6); twisting movement 搓; 转; 扭; 拧; 旋转; 扭伤
*He gave my arm a twist. 他扭了一下我的手臂.
* With a violent twist, he wrenched off the handle. 他猛力一拧, 将那把手拧了下来.
* Give the rope a few more twists. 把那绳子再搓几下.
(a) thing formed by twisting 搓捻而成之物
*a rope full of twists, ie kinks or coils 有很多扭结的绳子
* a twist of paper, ie a small paper packet with screwed-up ends 末端拧紧的小纸袋.
(b) coiled shape 螺旋状
*a twist of smoke 缭绕的烟
* a shell with a spiral twist 螺旋状贝壳.
(c) place where a path, etc turns （道路等的）弯曲处, 曲折处
*a twist in the road 道路的转弯处
* the twists and turns of the river 这条河弯弯曲曲的地方.
3 [C] change or development 转折; 转变; 发展
*the twists and turns in the economy, market, policy 经济、市场、政策的转变
* a strange twist of fate 命运的奇异改变
* The story had an odd twist at the end. 那个故事煞尾处奇峰突出.
4 [sing] peculiar tendency in a person's mind and character 怪癖; 偏执
*the criminal twist in his personality 他个性中的犯罪癖.
5 [U, sing] spinning motion given to a ball to make it move in a curved path （加之于球上的）弧圈运动.
6 (idm 习语) get one's knickers in a twist => knickers. round the bend/twist => bend2.
1. Twist the knob clockwise. 按顺时针方向转动旋钮。
2. Twist the knob clockwise. 按顺时针方向转动旋钮。