1 (a) [usu pred 通常作表语] ~ (about/of sth) not knowing definitely 知道得不确切; 无把握
*be/feel uncertain (about) what to do 对要做什么事拿不定主意
* uncertain about/of one's legal rights 不明确自己的合法权利.
(b) not known definitely 未被确切了解
*The outcome is still uncertain. 结果仍不明朗.
2 not to be depended on; unreliable 靠不住; 不可信赖
*His aim is uncertain. 他的目标不明确.
3 likely to vary; changeable 可能改变; 常变化
*uncertain weather 变幻莫测的天气
* a man of uncertain temper 喜怒无常的人.
4 hesitant or tentative 犹豫; 迟疑不决
*an uncertain voice, smile 吞吞吐吐的说话声、似笑非笑
* the baby's first uncertain steps 婴儿初学行走时不稳的脚步.
5 (idm 习语) in ,no un,certain `terms clearly and forcefully 清楚而有力地
*I told him what I thought of him in no uncertain terms! 我毫不含糊地把我对他的看法告诉了他!
adj [not before noun]
feeling doubt about something
= unsureuncertain whether/how/what etc He was uncertain how much further he could walk.uncertain about/of I was uncertain about what to do next.
not clear, definite, or decided
= unclearIt is uncertain whether/how/what etc It is uncertain how likely this is to occur. My whole future now seemed uncertain .in no uncertain terms
if you tell someone something in no uncertain terms, you tell them very clearly without trying to be polite I told Colin in no uncertain terms what I thought of him.
if someone walks in an uncertain way, they seem as though they might fall She took a few uncertain steps forward.>uncertainlyadv
1. When I was a teenager, I felt that I was just young and uncertain----that I was a new boy in a huge school. 我十几岁时，总感到自己年轻，有些事拿不准 -- 我是一所大学里的一名新生，
2. The outcome is still uncertain. 结果仍不明朗.
3. Travellers on short trips to areas with water supplies of uncertain quality should avoid drinking tap-water, or untreated water from any other source. 短途旅行到水质不保险的地区时，应避免饮用水龙头的水或未经处理任何其他来源的水。
4. At this altitude, the air is very thin and the weather is uncertain. 在这样高度上，空气十分稀薄，气候变幻无常，
5. Sometimes you may feel uncertain about whether to give in to many of your children's requests. 有时你也许会对自己是否要对孩子提出的许多要求作出让步感到没有把握。
6. It is an uncertain moment, a scary moment. 这是个变幻莫测的时刻，
7. In the first picture, the bride and groom are facing, with uncertain smiles, a church filled with relatives and friends. 在第一张照片上，新娘和新郎面对着挤满亲朋好友的教堂，脸上挂着几丝不定的微笑。