(infml 口) (people or Government of) the United States 山姆大叔; 美国; 美国人; 美国政府
*fighting for Uncle Sam 为美国而战.
Probably based on U.S., short for United States]informal
the US, or the US government, sometimes represented by the figure of a man with a white beard
and tall hat
1. Excuse the mess, Sam. 屋子很乱，请原谅，萨姆。
2. But then Sam lets go of the swing. He flies into the air and lands face down in the dirt. 但就在此时，山姆从秋千上飞了出去，脸朝下摔在地上。
3. When are you going to have a holiday, Sam? 萨姆，你准备什么时候去度假？
4. We made noises agreeing with Sam. 我们都对萨姆的话发出一片附和声。
5. Whenever someone learns that I'm taking care of Sam, they turn on me — telling me not to bounce him too much or he'll throw up, demanding that I give him another bottle of milk. 每当有人知道我是照看山姆的，她们就冲着我来了——要么告诉我不要让山姆跳得太多，否则他会呕吐，要么叫我再给他喂一瓶牛奶，等等。
6. Tom mimicked his uncle´s voice and gestures perfectly. 汤姆把他叔叔的声音和姿态模仿得惟妙惟肖.
7. Three months passed, and then one morning, Sam found his wallet outside his front door. 3个月过去了，后来在一天早晨，萨姆在自己的大门外发现了他的钱包。
8. Two months later, some more money was sent to Sam with another note: ´Only 25 per cent a thief now!´ 又过了两个月，又有一些钱送还给了萨姆，又附了一张字条："这回只是25%的小偷了！"
9. Then one of our lads said: "Here, give her another cup of tea, Sam. On me." 我们中的一个小伙子说：“萨姆，再给她一杯茶。我请客。”
10. The most enduring portrait of Uncle Sam was created by artist James Montgomery Flagg in his famous army recruiting posters of World Wars I and II. 最令人难忘的山姆大叔的画像，是由画家詹姆斯·蒙哥马利·弗拉格创作的，他在两次世界大战期间画了很多著名的征兵招贴画。