(US infml derog 口, 贬) black person who associates with and is eager to please white people 汤姆大伯（与白人交往并竭力讨白人欢心的黑人）.
[Date: 1800-1900; Origin: Uncle Tom black slave in the book Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852) by Harriet Beecher Stowe]
AmE a black person who is too respectful to white people - used to show disapproval
1. But Tom went on whitewashing and paid no attention to the steamer. 但是汤姆继续粉刷着，一点也没有注意到那艘汽船。
2. By the time Ben was tired out, Tom had traded the next chance to Billy Fisher for a kite in good repair; and when he played out, Johnny Miller bought in for a dead rat and a string to swing it with; and so on, and so on, hour after hour. 等到本累垮了，汤姆早已把粉刷权转让给比利·费希尔，换来一只完好的风筝。比利·费希尔干不下去了，约翰尼·米勒把粉刷权买了下来，代价是一只死耗子，和一条甩着玩的绳子。于是买主一个接着一个地来了，时间也一小时又一小时地过去了。
3. But she had to stay and look out for Tom, the secretary of the Tenants´ Association, on his way home from work. 不过她还是得等着汤姆回家路过，他是住户协会的秘书。
4. We´re going to leave tomorrow. Tom and I are going to have a holiday. 我们明天就要走了. 汤姆和我准备去度假.
5. We´re going to leave tomorrow. Tom and I are going to have a holiday. 我们明天就要走了. 汤姆和我准备去度假.
6. Tom is an American. 汤姆是一个美国人.
7. Tom and Bob are pals. 汤姆和鲍勃是好朋友。
8. Tom pushed the branches aside. he saw a sheep by the brook. 汤姆把树枝推到一边,他看见一只绵羊在河边.
9. Tom lives in a log cabin. 汤姆住在木屋里。
10. Tom: Is dinner ready, Peggy? 汤姆: 佩吉, 饭好了吗?