1 the universe [sing]all existing things, including the earth and its creatures and all the stars, planets, etc in space 宇宙; 世界; 天地万物.
2 [C] system of galaxies 星系; 银河系
*Are there other universes outside our own? 在我们的银河系之外还有别的星系吗?
1300-1400; Language: Latin;Origin:
universum, from universus 'whole'
, from uni- + versus 'turned toward'
all space, including all the stars and planetsin the universe everything in the universe[C]
a world or an area of space that is different from the one we are ina parallel/an alternative universebe the centre of sb's universe
to be the most important person or thing to someonesb's universe
a person's life, including all of the people, places, and ideas which affect them
1. But other suns, stars as the astronomers call them, are bound to have planets like our own, and as the number of stars in the universe is so vast, this possibility becomes virtual certainty. 但是，其他的太阳，既天文学家所说的恒星，肯定会有像我们地球一样的行星。因为宇宙中恒星的数目极其庞大，所以存在着产生生命星球的这种可能性是肯定无疑的。
2. Whether the whole universe does so is a mootpoint at present. 整个宇宙是否也会这样, 目前还有争论.
3. It must be known to any kind of radio astronomer in the universe. 这个频率是宇宙中任何射电天文学家都应该熟悉的。
4. They have also assumed that all animals, and probably other organisms such as trees, or even the universe itself, must in the nature of things ´wear out´. 人们不但认识到所有的动物，大概也认识到所有的有机物。如树木，甚至宇宙本身，从事物的本质上来说都会"磨损掉"。
5. There are one hundred thousand million stars in our own Milky Way alone, and then there are three thousand million other Milky Ways, or galaxies, in the universe. So the number of stars that we know exist is now estimated at about 300 million million 仅我们的银河系就有1000亿颗星，况且在宇宙中还有30亿个天河，即银河系。因此，我们所知道的现有恒星数目估计约有30亿X1000亿颗。
6. The Hubble will tell us a great deal about the age and size of the universe. 哈勃将告诉我们有关宇宙的年龄和大小的许多事情。
7. The mind, we now know, is not confined to the brain but is distributed throughout the body's universe of cells. 我们现在知道，思想活动并不局限在脑部，而是遍布全身范围的细胞中。
8. He presented a new concept of the beginning of the universe. 他提出了一种宇宙起源的新概念。
9. And mechanical systems like a wound watch, or the sun, do in fact run out of energy in accordance with the second law of thermodynamics (whether the whole universe does so is a moot point at present). 像上紧发条的手表那样的机械装置，或太阳，也都会消耗完其能量（整个宇宙否如此，目前沿有争论）。
10. "If left in the hands of private enterprise, the data highway could become little more than a synthetic universe for the rich," worries Jeffrey Chester, president of the Center for Media Education in Washington, D.C. 首都华盛顿大众媒介教育中心主任杰弗里·切斯特担心地说："如果数据高速公路控制在私人企业手中，它可能只会成为富人的虚拟世界。"