1 rare or exceptional 罕有的; 异乎寻常的
*This bird is an unusual winter visitor to Britain. 这种鸟很少冬季到英国来.
* It's unusual for him to refuse a drink. 给他酒他不喝, 这事可新鲜.
2 (esp approv 尤作褒义) remarkable because different; distinctive 独特的; 与众不同的
*The Lloyds building is nothing if not (ie is very) unusual. 劳埃德大楼别具一格.
different from what is usual or normal
an unusual feature
It's unusual for Dave to be late.
It's not unusual (=it is quite common) to feel very angry in a situation like this.
WORD CHOICE: unusual, strange, odd, bizarre, extraordinary, exceptional, remarkable
Unusual is neither approving nor disapproving : a suit made of unusual material | an unusual name | Her response was unusual.
Strange and odd mean unusual in a way that you cannot understand. They are sometimes used to show slight disapproval or distrust : a very strange man | I found his attitude a bit odd.
Bizarre means very unusual, especially in a way that you think is amusing or that is hard to believe : a bizarre haircut
Extraordinary can be approving or disapproving, but suggests approval when it is used to describe a person : What an extraordinary idea! (can suggest you strongly disagree) |My mother was an extraordinary woman (=very impressive, talented etc).
Exceptional and remarkable often mean unusually good or impressive : a writer of exceptional talent | a remarkable film
1. We were also prepared to act out some mildly unusual behavior that might speak of some emotional problems, without appearing seriously disturbed or dangerous. 我们也准备做出一些稍微有点不正常的行为, 表明我们情感上有问题、但看上去又不是神经很不正常或对他人有危险的行为。
2. When this division is taken to an extreme, unusual mathematical abilities result. 这种分工到了极致，就产生了不寻常的数学能力。
3. The explanation was simple but very unusual. 解释很简单，却异乎寻常。
4. The most unusual car was a Benz which had only three wheels. 而最不寻常的一辆则要属只有3只轮子的奔驰牌汽车了。
5. This is not unusual during the examination week. 这种情况在考试周里常能见到。
6. The younger twin might grow up with different influences — say, unusual friends or special teachers. 年少的双胞胎成长时会受到不同的影响——比如说，不一样的朋友和特别的老师等。
7. They show unusual patterns for several genes, including the highest rate of a rare blood type. 他们有几组少见的基因型，包括一种罕见血型的发生率在巴斯克人中也是最高的。
8. Now it should be said that this bicycle had one unusual feature: 这里该提一下的是，这辆车有个独特之处：
9. His heart beat with unusual rapidity. 他的心脏异常迅速地搏动。
10. He was an immensely talented man, determined to a degree unusual even in the ranks of Hollywood stars. 他是一个有巨大才能的人，他的决心之大甚至在好莱坞明星中也是十分少见的。