1 stretch of land between hills or mountains, often with a river flowing through it 谷, 山谷（中间多有溪流）. =>illus at mountain 见 mountain 插图.
2 region drained by a river 流域
*the Nile valley 尼罗河流域.
[Date: 1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin: valee, from val; VALE]
an area of lower land between two lines of hills or mountains, usually with a river flowing through it
the San Fernando valley
1. Before it becomes a retirement village, Silicon Valley may prove a classroom for building a global business. 在硅谷变成一个退休村之前，它很可能成为建立全球商业的一个教学场地。
2. This is a bleak valley. 这是个荒凉的山谷。
3. Technology trends may push Silicon Valley back to the future. 技术的发展趋势有可能把硅谷重新推向未来。
4. The village no longer existed because it had been submerged, and all the valley too. 村庄已不复存在，因为已经为水所淹，山谷也被水淹没了。
5. Then suddenly we saw the green Yongding River in the valley below. 接着，山谷下碧绿的永定河突然出现在眼前。
6. To the west you can see the Libyan Desert, and to the east you can see the green Nile Valley and the modern city of Cairo. 向西，你可以看到利比亚沙漠，向东，可以看到绿色的尼罗河流域和开罗这座现代化城市。
7. The flood, laden with rich earth, reaches the lower valley about 15 June — at a time when the whole land has been burnt black by the sun. It brings "the water of life". 大约每年六月十五日，尼罗河水挟带着肥沃的泥土流到了下游，给已被太阳烤得焦黑的土地带来了“生命之水”。
8. And at this point, according to my father, I should be looking at farms and cottages in a valley, 照父亲的说法，我面前应是一个山谷，有农场与村舍，
9. And on Asians. Already, orientals and Asian Americans constitute the majority of the engineering staffs at many Valley firms. 靠的是亚洲人。硅谷许多公司中工程技术人员的大多数是东方人和亚裔美国人。
10. Mountains rimmed the valley. 群山环绕著这个山谷.