1 [U] quality of not being the same, or not being the same at all times 变化; 多变（性）; 多样（化）
*offer, show, lack variety 提供、显示出、缺乏多样化的事物
* a life full of change and variety 丰富多彩的生活
* We all need variety in our diet. 我们都需要饮食多样化.
2 [sing] ~ (of sth) number or range of different things; assortment 若干不同的事物（的混合）
*He left for a variety of reasons. 他由于种种原因而离开了.
* a large/wide variety of patterns to choose from 可供选择的种类繁多的花样.
3 [C] ~ (of sth)
(a) (member of a) class of things that differ from others in the same general group 同类中的分类事物
*collect rare varieties of stamps 搜集邮票珍品.
(b) (biology 生) subdivision of a species 变种
*several varieties of lettuce, mosquito, deer 莴苣、蚊子、鹿的几个变种.
4 (Brit) (US vaudeville) [U] light entertainment consisting of a series of acts, eg singing, dancing, juggling, comedy, as performed on TV, at a theatre, or (esp formerly) in a music-hall 综艺节目（包括一系列演出, 如歌、舞、杂耍、滑稽剧等）
*[attrib 作定语] a va`riety show, theatre, artist 综艺表演、剧场、演员.
[Date: 1500-1600; Language: French;Origin: variété, from Latin varietas, from varius; VARIOUS]
a variety of sth
a lot of things of the same type that are different from each other in some way
The girls come from a variety of different backgrounds.
a wide/great/endless etc variety of sth
Cafe Artista offers a wide variety of sandwiches.
the differences within a group, set of actions etc that make it interesting
I really like the variety the store has to offer.
give/add/bring variety (to sth)
(=make something more interesting)
Occasionally working from home adds variety to a job.
a type of thing, such as a plant or animal, that is different from others in the same group
The lake has more than 20 varieties of fish.
[C usually singular]
a particular type of person or thing - often used humorously
of the ... variety
Lon has no patience with anything of the child variety.
variety is the spice of life
used to say that doing a lot of different things, meeting different people etc is what makes life interesting
1. Exercise can result in iron loss through a variety of mechanisms. 运动可能通过多种机制导致铁离子流失。
2. By comparison, trips by sea offer a great variety of civilized comforts. 相比较而言，海上旅行可提供各种文明的舒适条件。
3. By comparison, ferry trips or cruises offer a great variety of civilized comforts. 相比之下，坐船旅行或环游可以得到文明世界的各种享受。
4. We all need variety in our diet. 我们都需要饮食多样化.
5. Today, enough soundings are available to enable a relief map of the Atlantic to be drawn and we know something of the great variety of the sea bed´s topography. 现在已有足够的水深测量数据来绘制一张大西洋洋底地形图，而且我对海底地形的千变万化也有了一定的了解。
6. There is so much variety that you never have to make do with second best. 物品种繁多，从来不必用二等品来凑合。
7. And 2) adults who for a variety of reasons might want to clone themselves. 2）成年人出于各种各样的原因想要克隆自己。
8. "People have a variety of emotion," argues Harvard psychology professor Jerome Kagan. "人们的情感是多种多样的，" 哈佛大学心理学教授杰罗姆·凯根说，
9. Scientists discovered that this particular variety of rabbit was susceptible to a fatal virus disease, myxomatosis. 科学家们发现, 这种特殊品质的兔子易患一种叫做"多发性粘液瘤"的致命病毒性疾病.
10. Scientists discovered that this particular variety of rabbit (and apparently no other animal) was susceptible to a fatal virus disease, myxomatosis. 科学家们发现，这种特殊品种的兔子（显然不包括别的动物）易患一种叫"多发性粘液瘤"的致命毒性疾病。