n (idm 习语) in the vicinity (of sth) (fml 文) in the surrounding district; in the neighbourhood 在周围地区; 在附近
*There isn't a good school in the (immediate) vicinity. 附近没有好学校.
* crowds gathering in the vicinity of Trafalgar Square 聚集在特拉法尔加广场周围的人群
* (fig 比喻) a population in the vicinity of (ie of approximately)
[Date: 1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin: vicinitas, from vicinus 'near', from vicus 'row of houses, village']
in the vicinity (of sth)
in the area around a particular place
The stolen car was found in the vicinity of the station.
There used to be a mill in the vicinity.
in the vicinity of £3 million/$1,500/2 billion years etc
close to a particular amount or measurement
All meteorites are of the same age, somewhere in the vicinity of 4.5 billion years old.
1. Everyone knows that if he shouts in the vicinity of a wall or a mountainside, an echo will come back. 大家都知道，在墙壁或山腰附近发出的喊声，就会听到回声。
2. We had spent several days in a small town and visited a number of old churches in the vicinity. 我们在一座小镇上逗留了几天，参观了附近的许多古老的教堂。
3. There is no high school in the vicinity. 附近没有中学。