(a) [U] success in a war, contest, game, etc 胜利; 成功
*lead the troops to victory 率领部队走向胜利
* [attrib 作定语] victory parades, processions, celebrations, etc 胜利的大游行、队伍、庆祝活动等.
(b) [C] instance or occasion of this 胜利; 成功
*a narrow, decisive, resounding victory 险胜、决定性的胜利、大胜
* gain, win, score, etc a victory over one's rivals 战胜对手
* Labour did not have an easy election victory in East Oxford. 工党在牛津东区选举中的胜利来之不易.
* (fig 比喻) The verdict of the court was a victory for common sense. 法庭的这一裁断是情理的胜利.
npluralvictories [U and C]
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:
victorie, from Latin
victoria, from victus; VICTOR
the success you achieve when you win a battle, game, election etc
≠ defeat Napoleon's military victoriesvictory over/against the Raiders' 35-17 victory over St Louisvictory for This ruling represents a victory for all women. It was a surprisingly easy victory . The United States gained a decisive victory under his command. The result was a narrow victory for Smith. The polls were predicting that Labour would win a landslide victory . The government has won a very important victory . Jordan led his team to victory . Jesse Owens swept to victory in the Olympic Games of 1936.
COLLOCATES for sense 1easy/comfortable victorygreat/decisive/resounding victorynarrow victory
(=a win, but only by a small amount) landslide victory
(=a win by a very large amount in an election) moral victory
(=when you show your beliefs are right and fair, even if you lose the argument) win/score a victorylead somebody to victorysweep/romp/storm to victory
(=win easily) victory celebrations
1. By a titanic effort, our football team won the victory. 付出很大的努力，我们的橄榄球队赢得胜利。
2. We converted defeat into victory. 我们转败为胜。
3. They had won a glorious victory. 他们赢得了回辉煌的胜利.
4. The magnificent goal spurred the team on to victory. 他们那一球进得漂亮, 鼓舞了全队的士气夺取胜利.
5. The battle was a victory for our army. 这一仗我们军队打胜了。
6. After many defeats, the war ended for us in ultimate victory. 经过多次失败, 战争以我们的最终胜利而结束。
7. "It was the answer to my prayers because it seemed to be a victory over this idea that 'women can't lead'." "这正是对我的祈祷的回应，因为它似乎战胜了这种观念：女人当不了领导者。"
8. Surely one such victory in my family, for the prosperous leaders who own the tobacco companies, is enough. 对那些生意兴隆的烟草公司的巨头们来说，能在我家取得这样一种胜利，肯定是够满意了。
9. Murrow's projection of eventual victory for the ordinary people proved to be accurate. 事实证明，默罗关于普通人民会取得最后胜利的预言无比正确。
10. Ms. Mbogo's victory was even more surprising because she was voted in by her colleagues on the District Council, all men. 更令人感到意外的是，姆波戈女士是由区议会的同事们投票选出的，而那些人全是男性。