1 (a) violent conduct, esp of an unlawful kind 暴力行为（尤指非法的）; 暴行
*crimes, acts, outbreaks, etc of violence 暴力犯罪、暴力行为、暴力突发
* the use of violence against one's attackers 用暴力还击袭击者
* TV violence/violence on TV 电视中的暴力场面.
(b) great emotional intensity; violent feeling狂热; 激情; 强烈的感情
*We expressed our views with some violence. 我们激动地亮明了观点.
2 severity or harshness 激烈; 猛烈; 厉害
*the violence of the gale, collision, outrage 大风、碰撞、暴行之厉害程度.
3 (idm 习语) do violence to sth (fml 文) be contrary to sth; outrage sth 违背或违反某事物
*It would do violence to his principles to eat meat. 吃肉与他的原则相违.
behaviour that is intended to hurt other people physically
There is too much sex and violence on TV these days.
violence against women
We condemn any act of violence .
threats of physical violence
refuges for women escaping from domestic violence
Neither side wants to resort to violence .
When marchers gathered on a third day of protest, violence erupted and buildings were burned.
the tremendous violence of a tornado
do violence to sth
formal to spoil something
literary an angry way of speaking or reacting
She spoke with a violence that surprised them both.
COLLOCATES for sense 1
act of violence
domestic violence (=violence between a man and woman in their home)
racial/ethnic violence (=violence between different groups of people)
use/resort to violence (=behave violently)
violence erupts/explodes (=there is suddenly a lot of violence)
1. But the wisdom of that policy has been questioned as the amount of violence encountered by the police has grown. 但是随着警察遭遇的暴力事件逐渐增多，人们对这一做法是否明智提出了疑问。
2. The storm showed elemental fury in its violence. 暴雨显示了大自然的狂暴力量。
3. The robbers enforced obedience to their demand by threat of violence. 匪徒以暴力威胁使受害者服从他们的要求。
4. He is abhorrent of violence. 他厌恶暴力。
5. As conditions deteriorate, city populations would eventually collapse due to malnutrition, disease, and perhaps violence. 由于条件的恶化，城市人口最终会因营养不良、疾病蔓延，也许还因暴力行为而锐减。
6. Yes,they´re full of sex and violence. 是的, 它们充满了性和暴力.
7. You find a lot of violence in some American films. 有些美国电影里有大量的暴力行为。
8. Many schools have started conflict resolution programs to calm tensions that otherwise can build up like a volcano preparing to explode, ultimately resulting in physical violence. 许多学校都已经启动了化解冲突的工作项目，以舒缓紧张形势，要不然它们就会像火山一样蓄势待发，最终导致侵犯人身的暴力行为。
9. One thing that is left to the British to pray is to eliminate violence. 留给英国人去祈祷的就是消除暴力。
10. I've always advocated gun control; the odd thing is I still do. It wasn't ignorance of crime statistics that previously kept me from owning a gun nor thinking I was immune to violence. 我一贯主张控制枪支，奇怪的是我现在依然主张控制枪支。以前我没有枪，并不是因为我对有关犯罪的统计资料不了解，也不是因为我自认为可以不受暴力的袭击。