n.废物,浪费,损耗,消耗,地面风化物,垃圾,荒地 adj.废弃的,荒芜的,多余的 vt.浪费,消耗,使荒芜 vi.被浪费,挥霍钱财,变消瘦,被损耗
动词过去式:wasted 过去分词:wasted 现在分词:wasting 第三人称单数:wastes
adj [usu attrib 通常作定语]
1 (of land) that is not (fit to be) used; not inhabited or cultivated （指土地）不（能）使用的, 无人烟的, 未开垦的
*an area of waste ground 一片荒地.
2 no longer useful and to be thrown away 因无用而可抛弃的
*waste matter produced by the manufacturing process 生产过程中产生的废料.
3 (idm 习语) lay sth `waste (fml 文) destroy crops in (land, etc), esp during a war; ravage sth 毁坏（地里的）作物（尤指战时）; 使某处荒芜
*fields laid waste by the invading army 被侵略军糟蹋而荒芜的土地.
1 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (on sb/sth) use sth extravagantly, needlessly or without an adequate result 浪费; 滥用
*Hurry up, we're wasting time. 快点儿吧, 我们别再浪费时间了.
* A dripping tap wastes water. 水龙头关不紧就浪费水.
* Don't waste food. 不要浪费食物.
* All our efforts were wasted. 我们全部的努力都白费了.
* I'm sorry you've had a wasted (ie unnecessary, fruitless) journey. 很遗憾你白跑了一趟.
* I'm not going to waste any more words on the subject. 在这个问题上我不想多费唇舌了.
* She has wasted her money on things she doesn't need. 她花了冤枉钱, 买的是她自己并不需要的东西.
* (fig 比喻) The humour is wasted on them, ie They do not appreciate it. 这种幽默他们并不欣赏.(b) [Tn usu passive 通常用于被动语态] not make full use of (a person or his abilities) 未充分使用（某人或某 人的能力）
*She's wasted in her present job. 她做现在的工作屈才.
2 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] cause (sb/sth) to become weaker and thinner 使（某人[某物]）瘦弱
*His body was wasted by long illness. 他久病体弱.
* a wasting disease 使人瘦弱的疾病
* limbs wasted by hunger 饿得四肢瘦弱.
3 (idm 习语) lose/waste no time in doing sth => time1. waste one's `breath (on sb/sth) speak (about sb/sth) but not have any effect （对某人[某事物]）白费唇舌
*They won't listen, so don't waste your breath telling them. 他们听不进去, 不必和他们白费唇舌了. ,waste not, `want not (saying 谚) if you never waste anything (esp food or money), you will always have it when you need it 不浪费就不缺乏（尤指食物或钱）.
4 (phr v) waste away (of a person) grow unhealthily thin or weak （指人）消瘦, 衰弱.
1 [U, sing] (act of) wasting (waste2 1a) or being wasted 浪费; 滥用
*a policy aimed at reducing waste 旨在减少浪费的政策
* The waste of public money on the project was criticized. 在这个项目上浪费公帑遭到批评.
* It's a waste of time (ie It's not worth) doing that. 做那种事是浪费时间.
* In his opinion, holidays are a waste of time and money. 他认为度假浪费时间和金钱.
2 [U] material, food, etc that is no longer needed and is (to be) thrown away; refuse 因无用而可抛弃的材料、食物等; 废料; 废物; 垃圾
*Dustbins are used for household waste. 垃圾箱是盛扔掉的破烂东西的.
* regulations controlling the disposal of industrial waste 处理工业废物的规章
* radioactive waste from nuclear power stations 核电站的放射性废物.
(a) (usu pl 通常作复数) large area of land that is not or cannot be inhabited or cultivated; desert 无人烟的或不能住人的地区; 荒地; 荒漠
*the icy wastes of the Antarctic 南极地区的冰原
* the arid wastes of the Sahara 撒哈拉乾旱的沙漠.
(b) dreary scene 凄凉的景象
*the derelict waste of disused factories 工厂被弃置的凄凉景象.
4 (idm习语) go/run to `waste be wasted 被浪费
*What a pity to see all that food go to waste. 那么多食物都浪费了, 看着觉得可惜.
1. Energy from nuclear power plants is steadily increasing but the problem of dangerous waste limits growth in many regions. 核电厂提供的能源在稳步上升，但是在许多地区都因核电厂的有害废料问题而使发展受到限制。
2. With the development of modern agriculture and industry, more and more waste is produced. 随着现代工农业的发展, 产生出越来越多的废物.
3. We budget it, save it, waste it, steal it, kill it, cut it, account for it; we also charge for it. It is a precious resource. 我们安排时间、节约时间、浪费时间、挤抢时间、消磨时间、缩减时间、对时间的使用作出解释; 我们还要因时间而收取费用。时间是一种宝贵的资源。
4. The waste of this chemical factory contaminates the environment. 这家化工厂的废物污染了环境。
5. The waste material and water carried in sewage. 污水,污物从下水道中排出.
6. This kind of contamination from industry (waste water from factories) can be dangerous for people. 这种工业污染 (工厂排放的废水) 会危及人类。
7. The paper-making process uses large amounts of water, burns fossil fuels and produces much chemical waste. 因为造纸工艺要用去大量的水，燃烧大量的矿物燃料，而且还会产生大量的化学废料。
8. The myth has it that Americans consume too much, since the creation of solid waste per person continues to climb. 有种说法是，美国人消耗太多，因为他们的人均固体垃圾制造量在持续上升。
9. Regard any investigation of this question as a waste of time; 他们认为对这个问题进行调查中浪费时间，
10. Don´t waste your time on these trivial things. 不要把你的时间浪费在这些琐事上。