n.天气,气候,气象,处境 adj.迎风的,露天的 vt.使受风吹雨打,侵蚀,使风化,经受住 vi.风化,受侵蚀,经受风雨
1 [U] condition of the atmosphere at a certain place and time, with reference to temperature and the presence of rain, sunshine, wind, etc 天气; 气象
*cold, sunny, warm, wet, windy, etc weather 寒冷的、有阳光的、温暖的、下雨的、刮风的...天气
* We had good weather on our holiday. 我们度假时天气很好.
* The weather is very changeable. 天气变化无常.
* The success of the crop depends on the weather. 要收成好全得靠天气.
* if the weather breaks/holds, ie if the present good weather changes/continues 要是天气变坏[还这么好]
* We shall play the match tomorrow, weather permitting, ie if the weather is fine. 明天假设天气好, 我们就进行比赛. Cf 参看 climate 1.
2 (idm 习语) in all weathers in all kinds of weather, both good and bad 无论天气好坏. keep a `weather eye open be watchful and alert in order to avoid trouble 留意并警惕以避免麻烦. make heavy weather of sth => heavy. under the `weather (infml 口) feeling unwell or depressed 感到不舒服或消沉
*be/feel/look under the weather 有些[感到/显得]情绪低落
* She's been a bit under the weather recently. 她近来身体不太好.
adj [attrib 作定语] windward 上风的
*on the weather side 在上风侧.
1 [Tn] dry or season (wood) by leaving it in the open air 晾乾或风乾（木材）.
2 [I, Tn] (cause sth to) change shape or colour because of the action of the sun, rain, wind, etc （使某物）（受日晒、风吹、雨打等）变形或变色
*Teak weathers to a greyish colour. 柚木经日晒、风吹、雨打颜色发灰了.
* rocks weathered by wind and water 受风化和水蚀的岩石.
3 [Tn] come safely through (sth); survive 平安渡过（危难）; 经历（危难）而存活
*weather a crisis, a storm, an upheaval 经历危机、暴风雨、动乱而幸存.
4 [Tn] (in sailing) pass on the windward side of (sth) （船航行时）逆风经过（某处）
*The ship weathered the cape. 那艘船顶着风经过海角.
1. Even if you travel in ideal weather, sea journeys take a long time. 即使风平浪静，坐船旅行也要占用很长时间。
2. Beyond two or three days, the world´s best weather forecasts are speculative, and beyond six or seven they are worthless. 世界上最好的两三天以上的天气预报具有很强的猜测性，如果超过六七天，天气预报就没有了任何价值。
3. Because the weather was very hot, he carried the bed on to the roof of his house. 由于天气很热，他便把床搬到了他的屋顶上。
4. But next year, the weather may not be on their side. 但是，明年的天气可就不一定有利于美国人了。
5. Flights may be cancelled because of bad weather, but trains must be on time. 飞机航班可能因恶劣天气而取消，唯有火车必然是准点的。
6. We are becoming acclimated to New York weather . 我们渐渐习惯了纽约的天气。
7. What awful weather! 多麽坏的天气!
8. Wet weather always depresses me. 我在阴雨天总是心灰意懒.
9. Weather permitting , we´ll go to the mountains. 天气允许的话，我们就到山区去。
10. What´s the weather like in spring? 春季的天气怎么样？