动词过去式:wheeled 过去分词:wheeled 现在分词:wheeling 第三人称单数:wheels
/wi:l; [US] hwi:l; hwil/
1 (a) disc or circular frame that turns on an axle, as on carts, cars, bicycles, etc or as part of a machine, etc 轮; 车轮; 机轮. =>illus at App
1 见附录1插图, page xiii.
(b) (esp in compounds 尤用以构成复合词) any of several types of machine of which a wheel is an essential part 以轮子为主要部件的机器
*a potter's `wheel 陶钧
* a `spinning-wheel 纺车.
2 (usu sing 通常作单数) = steering-wheel (steer1)
*The driver sat patiently behind the wheel. 司机在方向盘前耐心地坐着.
* He took (ie grasped) the wheel and steered the ship into port. 他掌稳舵轮把船驶进了港口.
3 circular movement, esp that of a line of soldiers pivoting on one end 旋转运动; （尤指横排士兵以一端为中心的）旋转
*a left/right wheel 向左[右]转.
4 (idm 习语) at/behind the `wheel (of sth)
(a) steering (a vehicle or a ship)驾驶（车或船）
*Who was at the wheel when the car crashed?汽车碰撞时开车的是谁?
(b) (fig 比喻) in control (of sth) 控制（某事物）
*With her at the wheel, the company began to prosper. 有了她当主管, 公司开始兴旺起来. oil the wheels => oilv. put one's shoulder to the wheel => shoulder. put a spoke in sb's wheel => spoke1. ,wheels within `wheels situation in which a complicated or secret network of influences, motives, etc exists, making it difficult to understand fully 错综复杂的或秘密的势力、动机等交织在一起难以了解的情况.
1 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p]
(a) push or pull (a vehicle with wheels) 推或拉（车）
*wheel a barrow (along the street) （在街上）推手推车.
(b) carry (sb/sth) in a vehicle with wheels 用车运载（某人[某物]）
*wheel sb to the operating theatre on a trolley 用担架车把某人送到手术室.
2 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip] move in a curve or circle 转动; 旋转
*birds wheeling (about) in the sky above us 在我们上空盘旋的鸟.
(b) [I, Ip] ~ (round/around) turn round and face the other way 转身
*Left/Right wheel! ie as an order given to soldiers 向左[右]转!
* They wheeled round in amazement. 他们惊奇地转过身来.
3 (idm 习语) ,wheel and `deal (infml 口 esp US) negotiate or bargain in a clever, often dishonest, way （用精明的, 常指欺骗的方法）洽谈、商量或讨价还价
*There will be a lot of wheeling and dealing before an agreement is reached. 还要有一番讨价还价才能达成协议.
1. Well, it also features recling seats, a tilt steering wheel, and plenty of headroom. 嗯 ,它也以躺椅座,可倾斜的驾驶盘和充裕的头上空间为特色.
2. The tenants of Zeta Road looked and a mighty cheer went up, for across the spare wheel of the Hon. Hubert Bond´s car was plastered a huge poster which read: "NOT A PENNY ON THE RENTS!" 泽特路的住户们看过去，一阵强有力的欢呼声响起来，尊敬的休伯特·邦德车子上的后备轮胎上粘着一张大海报，上面写着：“房租一分钱不能加！”
3. Dad has no misgivings when Mother takes the wheel, because she is an excellent driver. 当母亲开车时，父亲一点也不疑惧，因为她是一优秀的驾驶员。
4. Dealer: Well, it also features reclining seats, a tilt steering wheel, and plenty of headroom. 商人:嗯 ,它也以躺椅座,可倾斜的驾驶盘和充裕的头上空间为特色.
5. A wheel is circular. 轮子是圆形的。
6. As the man tried to swing the speedboat round, the steering wheel came away in his hands. 当那人试图让快艇转弯时，方向盘脱手了。
7. "In contrast, the animals that exercised inside the automatic wheel possessed a greater density of blood vessels in the brain than did either of the other two groups of animals." "相比之下，在自动轮中跑动的老鼠，较之其他两组的老鼠，其大脑的血管密度更大。"
8. One man stayed at the wheel while two others with black stockings over their faces jumped out and smashed the window of the shop with iron bars. 一人留在驾驶座上，另外两个用黑色长筒丝袜蒙面的人跳下车来。他们用铁棒把商店橱窗的玻璃砸碎。
9. One group was exercised by running inside an automatic wheel, a second group improved their skills in a complicated obstacle course, and a third group was inactive. 第一组在自动轮中跑动，第二组通过一种复杂的越障训练来提高技能，第三组则不做任何运动。
10. In today´s lesson I learned how to manipulate the steering wheel. 在今天的课程中，我学到了如何去操作驾驶盘。