动词过去式:willed 过去分词:willed 现在分词:willing 第三人称单数:wills
modal v (contracted form 缩约式 'll / l; l/;neg 否定式 will not, contracted form 缩约式 won't /wEUnt; wont/; pt would / wEd; wEd; strong form 强读式 wUd; wJd/, contracted form 缩约式 'd / d; d/; neg 否定式 would not, contracted form 缩约式 wouldn't / 5wUdnt;`wJdnt/)
1 (a) (indicating future predictions 用以表示对未来事物的预料)
*Next year will be the centenary of this firm. 明年是这家公司成立的一百周年.
* He'll start school soon, won't he? 他很快就要上学了, 对吧?
* You'll be in time if you hurry. 你要是快一点儿就能来得及.
* How long will you be staying in Paris? 你在巴黎要呆多久?
* Fred said he'd soon be leaving. 弗雷德说他很快就要走了.
* If you phoned my secretary she'd give you an appointment. 你给我秘书打个电话, 她就会给你约定个时间. =>Usage
1 at shall 见shall所附用法第1项.
(b) (indicating present predictions 用以表示对目前事物的预料)
*That'll be the postman now! 这准是邮递员来了!
* They'll be home by this time. 他们现在一定到家了.
2 (a) (indicating willingness or unwillingness 用以表示愿意或不愿意)
*He'll take you home you only have to ask. 他愿意送你回家--你跟他一说就行.
* I'll check this letter for you, if you want. 你要想让我给你查查这封信, 我就给你查查.
* We won't lend you any more money. 我们不再借给你钱了.
* She wouldn't come to the zoo she was frightened of the animals. 她不愿意到动物园来--她害怕动物.
* We said we would keep them. 我们说过我们愿意保留它们. =>Usage
2 at shall 见shall所附用法第2项.
(b) (indicating requests 用以表示请求)
*Will you post this letter for me, please? 请您把这封信给我寄出去行吗?
* Will you (please) come in? 您（请）进来好吗?
* You'll water the plants while I'm away, won't you? 我不在的时候, 你给这些植物浇浇水行吗?
* I asked him if he wouldn't mind calling later. 我问他等一会儿再打电话来行不行.
3 (giving an order 用于发出命令或指示时)
*You will carry out these instructions and report back this afternoon. 你要执行这些指示并于今日下午报告执行情况.
* Will you be quiet! 安静点儿!=>Usage
3 at shall 见shall所附用法第3项.
4 (a)(describing general truths 用于叙述真理时)
*Oil will float on water. 油能浮在水面上.
* Engines won't run without lubricants. 没有润滑剂发动机就不能运转.
(b) (describing habits in the present or past 用于叙述目前的或过去的习惯时)
*She will listen to records, alone in her room, for hours. 她独自一人在屋里听唱片, 每每一听就是半天.* He would spend hours in the bathroom or on the telephone. 他以前一进洗澡间或是一打电话, 往往就是半天.
5 (insistence on the part of the subject 用以表示施事者执意要做的事)
*He `will comb his hair at the table, even though he knows I don't like it. 他偏偏要在饭桌哪儿梳头, 还明明知道我腻味这事儿.
* He `would keep telling those dreadful stories. 他专门爱讲那些讨厌的故事.
v [I] (only used in the simple present tense; 3rd pers sing will 仅用于一般现在时态; 第三人称单数作will)
1 (dated or fml 旧或文) wish 希望; 愿意
*Call it what you will, it's still a problem. 不管怎么说, 这仍旧是个问题.
* You're free to travel where you will in the country. 在这个国家里, 你想上哪儿去就可以上哪儿去.
2 (idm 习语) if you `will (fml 文) if you prefer to express it in these terms 你若愿意这样说也行
*He became her senior adviser her deputy, if you will. 他成了她的高级顾问--你要说是她的副手也未尝不可.
1 [Tn, Tnt] try to make (sth) happen or to make (sb) do sth by using one's mental powers 用意志的力量使（某事）发生或使（某人）做某事
*As a child he thought that his grandmother's death had happened because he had willed it. 他小小年纪以为祖母死了是因为他曾经想过让她死.
* The crowd were cheering their favourite on, willing her to win. 大家都在给他们心目中的热门参赛者加油, 暗使劲儿使之获胜.
2 [Tn, Tf] (fml 文) intend (sth); desire 想要（某事）; 愿望
*This happened because God willed it. 发生了这件事是上帝的旨意.
* God wills that man should be happy. 上帝愿人类幸福.
3 [Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (to sb) (fml 文) leave (property, etc) to sb by means of a will and testament 将（财产等）遗赠某人
*Father willed me the house and my sister the income from the investments. 父亲把房子遗赠给我了, 把投资收入遗赠给了妹妹.
* He willed most of his money to charities. 他把钱大多遗赠给慈善机构了.
1 [U, sing] mental power by which a person can direct his thoughts and actions or influence those of others 意志
*the freedom of the will 意志上的自由
* Man has
(a) free will. 人类有自由的意志.
2 (a) [U, sing] (also `will-power [U]) control that one can use over one's own impulses 意志力; 自制力; 主见
*have a strong/weak will 有坚强的意志力[意志力薄弱]
* He has no will of his own. 他没有主见.
* She shows great strength of will. 她表现出了坚强的意志力.
(b) [U, C] strong desire; determination 强烈的愿望; 决心; 毅力
*Despite her injuries, she hasn't lost the will to live. 她尽管受了伤却没有失去生存的毅力.
* There was a clash of wills among committee members. 委员们意愿不一, 发生了冲突.
3 [U] that which is desired (by sb) （某人的）旨意
*try to do God's will 要按照上帝的旨意行事
* It is the will of Allah. 这是安拉的旨意.
4 (also testament) [C] legal document in which a person states how he wants his property and money to be disposed of after his death 遗嘱
*one's last will and testament 自己最後的遗嘱.
5 (idm 习语) against one's `will not according to one's wishes 违背自己的意愿
*I was forced to sign the agreement against my will. 我被迫违心地在协议上签了字. at one's own sweet will => sweet. at `will wherever, whenever, etc one wishes 随意; 任意
*The animals are allowed to wander at will in the park. 这些动物可以在公园里随意走动. of one's own free will => free. where there's a ,will there's a `way (saying 谚) a person with determination will find a way of doing sth 有志者事竟成. with the best will in the world => best1. with a `will willingly and enthusiastically 愿意地; 乐意地; 热情地
*She started digging the garden with a will. 她在园子里起劲地翻起土来.