n.奇迹,惊奇,惊愕 vt.对...感到惊讶,惊奇,想知道 vi.惊讶,怀疑 adj.非凡的,奇妙的
名词:wonderer 动词过去式:wondered 过去分词:wondered 现在分词:wondering 第三人称单数:wonders
1 (a) [U] feeling of surprise mixed with admiration, bewilderment or disbelief惊奇; 惊叹; 惊愕; 惊异
*The children watched the conjuror in silent wonder. 孩子都一声不响惊奇地看着魔术师.
* They were filled with wonder at the sight. 他们见此情景惊叹不已.
(b) [C] thing or event that causes this feeling 令人感到惊奇的事物
*the wonders of modern medicine 现代医学的奇迹
* the seven wonders of the world 世界七大奇观
* [attrib 作定语] a wonder drug, ie one that has extremely good, almost miraculous, effects 特效药.
2 (idm 习语) a chinless wonder => chinless (chin). do/work miracles/wonders (for sth) => miracle. it's a wonder (that)... it's surprising or puzzling (that)... 令人惊奇的是...; 莫名其妙的是...
*It's a wonder (that) he continues to gamble when he always loses! 令人惊讶的是他一直输还一直赌! a nine days' wonder => day. no/little/small `wonder (that...) it is not/hardly surprising 这并不[不太]出奇
*No wonder you were late! 难怪你来晚了!
* Small wonder (that) he was so tired! 难怪他这么累! ,wonders will ,never `cease (saying esp ironic 谚, 尤作反语) (expressing surprise and pleasure at sth, often sth trivial 用以对某事物表示惊喜,常指小事)
*`I've washed the car for you.' `Wonders will never cease!' ｀我替你把汽车擦洗了.＇｀真是无奇不有!＇
1 [I, Ipr, It, Tf] ~ (at sth) (fml 文) feel great surprise, admiration, etc; marvel 感到惊奇; 惊叹; 惊讶
*He could do nothing but stand and wonder. 他只得惊奇地站着不动.
* We wondered at the speed with which it arrived. 我们赞叹其到达速度之快.
* I wonder (ie am amazed) (at the fact) that you weren't killed. 你竟未遇难, 令人称奇.
* I wondered (ie was surprised) to hear her voice in the next room. 我听到隔壁传出她的声音, 十分惊讶.
2 (a) [I, Ipr] ~ (about sth) feel curious (about sth); ask oneself questions （对某事物）感到好奇; 自问; 自忖
*There has been no news for a week and he is beginning to wonder. 已经一个星期没有消息了, 他渐渐觉得有些奇怪.
* I was just wondering about that myself. 我就是觉得这件事莫名其妙.
(b) [Tw] ask oneself 自问; 自忖
*I wonder who he is. 我不知道他究竟是谁.
* I wonder whether they will arrive on time. 我也不知道他们能不能准时到.
* wondered what time it was, where to go, how long it would last, why he had left. 那时闹不清几点钟了、应该到哪儿去、那件事还要持续多久、他为什么走了.
(c) [Tw] (used as a polite way of introducing a request 用以提出要求, 为礼貌表达方式)
*I wonder if/whether you could... 请问您是否可以....
3 (idm 习语) I ,shouldn't `wonder (infml 口) I should not be surprised (to discover) 我觉得不足为奇
*It's paid for with stolen money, I shouldn't wonder. 那是用偷来的钱支付的, 我觉得这并不奇怪.