v.出产,生长,生产 vi.(～ to)屈服,屈从 n.产量,收益
名词:yielder 动词过去式:yielded 过去分词:yielded 现在分词:yielding 第三人称单数:yields
1 [Tn] bear, produce or provide (a natural product, a result or profit) 生出、产生或提供（自然产物、结果或利润）
*trees that no longer yield fruit 不再结果实的树
* experiments yielding new insights 得到新的认识的实验
* Building societies' investment accountsyield high interest. 房屋建筑协会的投资利润获得很高的利息.
2 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip] ~ (to sb/sth) (fml 文) allow oneself to be overcome by pressure; cease opposition (to sb/sth) 屈服; 让步; （对某人[某事物]）不再反对
*The town was forced to yield after a long siege. 该城受长期围困而被迫弃守.
* The government has not yielded to public opinion. 政府并未向舆论让步.
* She yielded to temptation and had another chocolate. 她禁不住诱惑, 又吃了一块巧克力.
(b) [I] be forced out of the usual or natural shape; bend or break under pressure （受外力）变形; （受压力）弯曲或折断
*Despite all our attempts to break it open, the lock would not yield. 尽管我们想方设法要把锁弄断, 它却仍纹丝不动.
* The dam eventually yielded and collapsed under the weight of water. 水坝在水的压力下终于决口.
3 [Ipr] ~ to sth be replaced or superseded by sth 被某事物代替或替换
*Increasingly, farm land is yielding to property development. 地产的发展逐渐占据了农田.
* The cinema has largely yielded to the home video. 电影业在很大程度上已让位给家庭录像电影.
4 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sb/sth (up) (to sb) (fml 文)
(a) reluctantly give control of sth (to sb); deliver sb/sth (to sb) 勉强地将某事物交出（予某人）; 将某人[某事物]送交（某人）
*The terrorists have yielded two of their hostages (up) to the police. 恐怖分子已把其中两名人质交给警方.
(b) reveal sth; disclose sth 泄露、揭露、透露、暴露或露出某事物
*The universe is slowly yielding up its secrets to scientists. 宇宙慢慢地向科学家展现了自己的秘密.
5 [I, Ipr] ~ (to sb/sth) (esp US) (of traffic) allow other traffic to have right of way （指道路上的来往车辆）让路给有先行权的车辆.
6 [I, Ipr] ~ (to sb/sth) (fml 文) admit that one is inferior (to sb/sth); concede 承认自己比不上（某人[某事物]）; 让步; 忍让
*I yield to no one in my admiration for (ie am one of the greatest admirers of) her work. 我比任何人都佩服她的工作.
n [U, C] (amount of) that which is yielded or produced 生产或出产（的量）
*a good, high, poor, etc yield of wheat 小麦的好收成、高产、歉收等
* What is the yield per acre? 每英亩的产量是多少?
* the annual milk yield 牛奶的年产量.
1. Three years later, I find myself enjoying my relationship with this brilliant man who talks about the yield curve and other financial statistics, who prays when I drive, 三年后的今天，我发现自己与这位出色的男人之间的关系十分愉快。他谈论着投资收益曲线及其他的财经统计资料；我开车时他祈祷；
2. Mrs.Baroda was greatly tempted that night to tell her husband — who was also her friend — of this foolishness that had seized her. But she did not yield to the temptation. 那晚，巴罗达太太很想把自己的一时荒唐告诉丈夫--也是她的朋友，但还是忍住了。
3. The class of fliers which harness the air to their purpose, but must yield to its opposition. 它能自如地驾驭空气，但必须顺气流飞行。