1. His foot hurt, but it was nothing compared with his hunger, which made him go on until darkness fell. His blanket was wet, but he knew only he was hungry. In his troubled sleep, he dreamed of rich meals. He woke up cold, sick and lost; the small bag 跟肚中的饥饿比起来，脚上的伤根本算不了什么。饥饿感驱使他不停地走，直到天黑。毯子已经湿了，他没觉察到。他惟一清楚的就是饥饿。这一晚上，他睡得极不踏实，他梦到了丰盛的饭菜。醒来时，他觉得冷, 觉得没有力气，辨不清方向。那个小包还在。
2. Darkness is an attribute of night, as brightness is that of day. 黑暗是夜晚的本质，而白昼的本质是光明。
3. She has a terror of darkness. 她害怕黑暗.
4. She wanted to reach out her hand in the darkness and touch him — which she might have done if she had not been a respectable woman. 她想在夜色里伸出手去触摸他--要不是个正派女子，她真会这么做。
5. Oil rigs have to be repaired frequently and divers, who often have to work in darkness a hundred feet under water, have been frightened out of their wits by giant fish bumping into them as they work. 钻井平台需要经常修理，潜水员常常要在水面100英尺以下摸黑工作，他们曾在工作时被撞到他们身上的大鱼吓得惊惶失措。