1. When you see someone you know, or would like to make contact with, smile. You are showing an open attitude to conversation. 当你看到某个你所认识的人，或是想和他接触，就微笑吧。你这是在表明你乐于与他交谈的明确态度。
2. When the person smiles, be sure to smile back. But always make an effort to return your gaze (注视) to the person’s eyes as she speaks. 当其微笑时，你一定也要回报以微笑。但她说话的时候，你总尽量以注视她的眼睛相报。
3. Working in an art-supply shop, "I met working artists and realized you can make a living doing this." 在一家艺术用品商店工作时，"我遇到了一些工作着的艺术家，并意识到这样做也能谋生。"
4. We can make those days comfortable by giving her painkillers and sleeping pills. 我们可以把这几天弄得舒服些，办法是给她用止疼片和安眠药。
5. With the combination of intelligence and manual skill (allowing us to make and use tools), people have found ways to use plant and animal resources, mineral ores, fuels, and many other of Earth's materials and resources. 由于智力与手工技能的结合（使得人类能够制造和使用工具），人们已经发现了诸多利用地球动植物资源、矿产资源、燃料和许多其他物产和资源的方法。
6. Women in Kenya make up 60 percent of the people who vote, but only 3 percent of the National Assembly. 肯尼亚妇女占选民人数的60%，但在国民大会中的席位仅3%。
7. While this eliminates risk and helps to insure that the man and woman will be similar in background and outlook, the theory is that the personalities of the couple provide enough differences to make the relationship interesting. 虽然这种做法排除了风险，也有助于确保男女双方有相同的背景和观点，但从理论上来说，是夫妻个性方面的差异才使得婚姻关系引人入胜。
8. What is the most valuable contribution employees make to their companies, knowledge or judgment? 员工对公司最有价值的贡献是什么，是知识还是判断力？
9. They make an annual pilgrimage to Mecca. 他们每年都去麦加朝圣。
10. The boy was cutting a branch of a tree with his knife to make a cane. 这个小男孩正在用一把小刀削一根树枝, 想做根手杖.