副词:absorbingly 动词过去式:absorbed 过去分词:absorbed 现在分词:absorbing 第三人称单数:absorbs 形容词:absorbable 名词:absorbability
ab-=from,away from,off 变化型 a-,abs-(c和t之前)，adv-,av-
1 (a) take (sth) in; suck up 吸收（某事物）; 吸进
*absorb heat 吸热
* Plants absorb oxygen. 植物吸收氧气.
* Dry sand absorbs water. 乾沙吸水.
* Aspirin is quickly absorbed by/into the body. 阿司匹林很快被身体吸收了.
* (fig 比喻) Clever children absorb knowledge easily. 聪明孩子容易吸收知识.
(b) include (sth/sb) as part of itself or oneself; incorporate; merge with 将（某物[某人]）合并; 并吞; 同化
*The larger firm absorbed the smaller one. 那大公司并吞了那小公司.
* The surrounding villages have been absorbed by/into the growing city. 周围的村庄已经并入了那不断扩展的城市.
2 reduce the effect of (an impact, a difficulty, etc) 减轻（冲击, 困难等的）作用或影响
*Buffers absorbed most of the shock. 缓冲器使震动减少了许多.
3 hold the attention or interest of (sb) fully 完全吸引住（某人）的注意力或兴趣
*His business absorbs him. 他专心致志地处理业务.
4【become part of something】
6【deal with change/costs】
[Date: 1400-1500; Language: French;Origin: absorber, from Latin absorbere, from ab- 'away' + sorbere 'to suck up']
to take in liquid, gas, or another substance from the surface or space around something
Plants absorb nutrients from the soil.
absorb sth into sth
Water and salts are absorbed into our blood stream.
to read or hear a large amount of new information and understand it
Her capacity to absorb information is amazing.
to interest someone so much that they do not pay attention to other things
The movement and noise of the machines absorbed him completely.
be absorbed in sth
Judith lay on the settee, absorbed in her book.
【BECOME PART OF SOMETHING】
to become part of something larger
California absorbs many of the legal immigrants to the US.
be absorbed into sth
We were soon absorbed into local village life.
if something absorbs light, heat, energy, or noise, it takes it in
Darker surfaces absorb heat.
【DEAL WITH CHANGE/COSTS】
if something absorbs changes or costs, it accepts them and deals with them successfully
The beer industry had absorbed a doubling of federal tax in 1991.
if something absorbs money, time etc it uses a lot of it
Defence spending absorbs almost 20% of the country's wealth.
to reduce the effect of a sudden violent movement
A well-designed sports shoe should absorb the impact on your feet.
1. Plants absorb oxygen. 植物吸收氧气.
2. Unlike sulfa drugs, penicillin is made up of plant material that the body can absorb. 与磺胺药不同，盘尼西林是由人体可吸收的植物材料制成的，
3. It is then left completely undisturbed with plenty of food and water so that it can absorb the atmosphere of its new home and see that nothing particularly alarming is happening to its companions. 然后给它以充足的食物和水，一定不要惊扰它，以便让他能适应新居的气氛，并且看到自己的同伴身上没有发生让自己担惊受怕的事。
4. I have also learned to absorb whole sentences without trying to translate them word for word into Chinese. 我还学会了领悟整个句子，而不去逐词译成汉语。
5. I took out my books, but my mind refused to absorb anything. 我拿出了书本，但我的脑子里什么东西也装不进去了。