形容词:babyish 名词:babyhood 名词复数:babies 形容词比较级:babier 最高级:babiest 动词过去式:babied 过去分词:babied 现在分词:babying 第三人称单数:babies
1 (a) very young child or animal 婴儿; 幼小的动物
*Both mother and baby are doing well. 母子均平安.
* [attrib 作定语] a ,baby `boy/`girl 男婴[女婴]
* a baby thrush, monkey, crocodile 幼小的鸫、猴子、 鱼.
(b) (infml 口) youngest member of a family or group 家庭或团体中最年幼的成员
*He's the baby of the team. 他在队里最年轻.
(c) childish or timid person 孩子气的人; 胆怯的人
*Stop crying and don't be such a baby. 别哭了, 不要这样孩子气.
2 (a) (sl 俚 esp US) young woman, esp a man's girl-friend 姑娘; （尤指男子的）女友.
(b) (US sl 俚) person 人.
3 [attrib 作定语] very small of its kind 小型的
*a baby car 小型汽车.
4 (idm 习语) be ,one's `baby (infml 口) be sth that one has created or has in one's care 由某人造成的事物; 归某人管的事物
*It's your baby, ie You must deal with it.这是你干的（应由你来处理）. leave sb holding the baby => leave1. smooth as a baby's bottom => smooth1. start a baby => start2. throw the baby out with the bath water foolishly discard a valuable idea, plan, etc at the same time as one is getting rid of sth unpleasant or undesirable 把婴儿和洗澡水一齐倒掉（在把不想要或不需要的东西扔掉的同时, 也愚蠢地抛弃了有价值的意见、计划等）; 在去其糟粕的同时, 也丢掉了精华.
v (pt, pp babied) [Tn] treat (sb) like a baby; pamper 把（某人）当成小孩; 纵容
*Don't baby him. 不要纵容他.
1. But he brought his American baby girl with him, and a life-style flavoured with American ways. 但是他把在美国出生、尚在襁褓中的女儿及带有美国情调的生活方式也一起带了回来。
2. While you are on the phone, the baby pulls the table- cloth off the table, smashing half your best crockery . 你接电话时，小孩把桌布扯下来了，把你最好的陶器打碎了一半.
3. We´ve turned the smallest bedroom into a nursery for our new baby. 我们已将最小的那间卧室改成新生婴儿的幼儿室.
4. When the baby developed a fever, Mother telephoned the pediatrician. 当婴儿发烧时，母亲会打电话给小儿科医生。
5. Is as the proportion of the total vocabulary of his mother tongue against those words of his own baby talk that are taken up into the vernacular of his family. 就好像他本国语言的总词汇量和自己咿呀学语时他家庭所接纳的他的词汇量之比。
6. While you are on the phone, the baby pulls the tablecloth off the table, 就在你接电话时，孩子把桌布从桌子上扯下来，
7. While they were talking the baby was sleeping restlessly, uttering little cries from time to time. 他们说话时，孩子睡得很不踏实，还不时地哭几声。
8. With her baby clasped to her she ran past the M.P.´s wife at the door and into the comfort of her neighbours´ arms. 她抱好孩子，绕过站在门口的议员夫人，奔向邻居们的怀里，以求一点同情。
9. The mother rocked the baby to sleep in its cradle. 母亲摇动摇篮使婴儿入睡.
10. The mother is dressing her baby. 母亲正为婴孩穿衣。