1 only just; scarcely 仅够; 几乎没有
*We barely had time to catch the train. 我们几乎来不及赶火车.
* He can barely read or write. 他勉强识字.
2 in a bare way 赤裸裸地; 光秃秃地; 空空地
*The room was barely furnished, ie had little furniture in it. 室内几乎没有陈设可言.
only with great difficulty or effort
= only just She was very old and barely able to walk. Mary had barely enough money to live on.barely audible/perceptible/visible/discernible etc His voice was barely audible. She could barely understand English.
= hardly She was barely aware of his presence. Joe and his brother are barely on speaking terms.
used to emphasize that something happens immediately after a previous action
British Equivalent: only just Graham had barely finished his coffee when Henry returned.
used before amounts or numbers to emphasize that they are surprisingly small
= only Nowadays the village has barely 100 inhabitants. The party had been in government for barely seven months.
1. But when she drew closer, she could barely recognize him through his wounds. 但当她走近他时，由于他伤痕累累，她简直认不出他了。
2. But its economy is stuck in recession and it barely has the money to even scratch the surface of the problem. 但是由于其经济陷于低迷，几乎没有资金来着手解决最基本的问题。
3. The streets were filled with the dead and barely living. She kept on running, knowing only that she had to be home. 街上到处都是死人和奄奄一息的人，她不停地跑着，只知道自己必须回家。
4. The team, led by a manager of breathing care, called the process "surgery light" because patients are kept just barely asleep rather than out cold. 小组由一位呼吸治疗方面的负责人带领，他们称此疗程为"轻度手术"，因为病人保持半睡眠状态而不是完全昏迷。
5. He had been on the throne for barely eight months when he authorized this. 他批准这项措施时，登基才8个月。
6. As it is only six feet across, it is barely noticeable. 由于入口直径只有6 英尺，它几乎不可能被人们察觉。
7. As it is only six feet across, it is barely noticeable. 仅6英尺宽，很难被发现。
8. And the closet is usually so tightly packed with clothes that I can barely squeeze in my jacket. 还有壁橱通常也是塞满了衣服，因此我几乎无法把我的夹克衫塞进去。
9. She was barely walking at the age of four. 她四岁时才勉强会起路。
10. Our accommodation is barely adequate. 我们的住房不太够用.