/'kæθəlɪk; `kæθəlɪk/ adj including many or most things; general; universal 包罗万象的; 广泛的; 普遍的
*have catholic tastes, interests, views, etc 广泛的爱好、兴趣、意见等.
[Date: 1300-1400; Language: French;Origin: catholique, from Late Latin, from Greek katholikos 'general, universal', from katholou 'in general', from kata 'by' + holos 'whole']
including a very wide variety of things
Whoever lived here before us had catholic tastes (=liked a lot of different things) .
a catholic collection of records
1. The Pope is the supreme leader of the Roman Catholic Church. 教皇是罗马天主教的最高领袖。
2. The Pope is the supreme leader of the Roman Catholic Church. 教皇是罗马天主教的最高领袖。
3. He was baptized a Catholic. 他接受洗礼, 成为天主教徒。
4. Are you a protestant or a Catholic? 你是基督徒还是天主教徒?
5. All Catholic countries adopted the Gregorian Calendar immediately, but the Greek Church and most Protestant nations refused to recognize it. 所有的天主教国家都立即采纳了这种格列高利历法，但是希腊教会和多数的新教国家都拒绝承认这种历法。
6. Some people are surprised when they learn of this old custom because they think people of southern Germany followed the Catholic (天主教的) religion, which teach marriage is a holy right given by God in order to create children. 有些人在得知这个古老的风俗后感到很吃惊，因为他们认为德国南部的人信奉天主教，天主教教导人们: 婚姻是上帝赐给人们生育孩子的一种神圣权利。