1 [U] joining or mixing together of two or more things or people; state of being joined or mixed together （两个或两个以上事物或人）结合, 混合, 联合, 组合, 合并, 化合
*It is the combination of wit and political analysis that makes his articles so readable. 他的生花妙笔与政治分析相得益彰, 使他的文章脍炙人口.
* The firm is working on a new product in combination with several overseas partners. 公司正在联合几家海外合伙人制造新产品.
2 [C] number of things or people joined or mixed together; mixture; blend 结合到一起的事物或人; 混合物; 联合体
*Pink is a combination of red and white. 粉红色是红色与白色的混合色.
* A combination of factors led to her decision to resign. 综合各种因素之後她决定辞职.
* The architecture in the town centre is a successful combination of old and new. 市中心的建筑风格是古今结合, 浑然一体.
* What an unusual combination of flavours! 多么不寻常的混合风味!
3 [C] sequence of numbers or letters used to open a combination lock （用以开启暗码锁的）数字或字母组合.
4 [C] (Brit) motor-bike with a side-car attached to it 带挎斗的摩托车.
5 combinations [pl] (formerly) one-piece under-garment covering the body and legs （旧时）衫裤相连的内衣.
n [U and C]
two or more different things that exist together or are used or put together
→combinecombination of A combination of factors may be responsible for the increase in cancer. A combination of tact and authority was needed to deal with the situation. Certain combinations of sounds are not possible in English.in combination (with sth) Some drugs which are safe when taken separately are lethal in combination.[C]
the series of numbers or letters you need to open a combination lockwinning combination
a mixture of different people or things that work successfully together[U]especially AmE
used before a noun to mean that something has more than one purpose or uses more than one method a combination nightclub and café new combination drug therapies
1. With the combination of intelligence and manual skill (allowing us to make and use tools), people have found ways to use plant and animal resources, mineral ores, fuels, and many other of Earth's materials and resources. 由于智力与手工技能的结合（使得人类能够制造和使用工具），人们已经发现了诸多利用地球动植物资源、矿产资源、燃料和许多其他物产和资源的方法。
2. The same map, in combination with ancient human bones, confirms that Africa was the birthplace of humanity and thus the starting point of the original human movements. 结合对远古人骨的研究，这一图谱证实了非洲是人类的诞生地，因而也是人类迁移的始发地。
3. She became an ambassador for women's political rights, giving speeches before women's groups and going from door to door, handbag in hand, spending hours at a time giving a combination of speech and government lesson. 她成为捍卫妇女政治权利的使者，向妇女团体发表演说。她会挎着手提包，挨家挨户地去做演讲，并给他们讲解政体，一讲就是数小时。
4. Many ideas kept surging in his head; he could almost feel them pushing against one another, until two of them combined to form a stable combination. 许多想法在他脑子里不断涌现；他几乎能感觉到这些想法在相互碰撞着，直到其中的两个结合在一起，形成了一个稳定的组合。
5. It is the combination of wit and political analysis that makes his articles so readable. 他的生花妙笔与政治分析相得益彰, 使他的文章脍炙人口.