名词:eater 动词过去式:ate 过去分词:eaten 现在分词:eating 第三人称单数:eats
v (pt ate/ et; ?@ eIt; et/, pp eaten/ 5i:tn; `itn/)
1 [I, Ip, Tn, Tn.p] ~ (up)/~ sth (up) take (solid food or soup) into the mouth and swallow it for nourishment 吃; 喝（汤）
*He was too ill to eat. 他病重得不能吃东西了.
* eat up (ie finish eating) now 现在吃完
* Eat (up) your dinner. 你把饭吃（完）了.
* Lions eat meat, ie Meat is their diet. 狮子吃肉.
2 [I] have a meal 吃饭
*Where shall we eat tonight? 咱们今天晚上在哪儿吃饭?
3 (idm 习语) dog eat dog => dog1. ,eat sb a`live/,eat sb for `breakfast (infml 口) be able to dominate or exploit sb 能支配或剥削某人; 摆布; 宰割
*She'll eat him for breakfast. 她将来能降住他. eat one's `heart out (for sb/sth) endure envy, longing, frustration, etc in silence 默默地强忍妒忌、渴求、挫折等
*Since he left, she's been sitting at home eating her heart out. 他走了以後, 她一直坐在家里, 心如刀割. ,eat humble `pie be very apologetic 赔罪; 赔礼; 道歉
*When he realized his mistake, he had to eat humble pie. 他认识到了自己的错误, 只好赔礼道歉. ,eat like a `horse (infml 口) eat a lot 吃得很多. eat out of sb's `hand be submissive and compliant towards sb 听命于某人
*She soon had the class eating out of her hand. 她不久就把全班管得服服贴贴了. eat sb out of ,house and `home (infml often joc 口, 常作戏谑语) (of people) eat a lot of food which sb else has paid for （指人）把某人吃穷
*I hope your brother won't stay much longer, he's eating us out of house and home! 我希望你弟弟可别住太久了, 他要把咱们给吃穷了! eat oneself `sick (on sth) (infml 口) eat so much (of sth) that one feels or is sick 吃（某物）太多而不适或生病
*The children would eat themselves sick on chocolate if I let them. 我要是让孩子由着性儿吃巧克力, 他们会吃出病来. ,eat one's `words admit that what one said was wrong 承认自己说错话. have one's cake and eat it => cake. I'll ,eat my `hat (infml 口) (expression used by sb who believes that sth is so unlikely to happen that even to suggest it is absurd 某人认为发生某事物的可能性迹近荒谬时的用语)
*Rob's always late if he gets here on time I'll eat my hat. 罗布总迟到--他要准时到这儿, 我把脑袋给你. the proof of the pudding is in the eating => proof1.
4 (phr v) eat sth away/eat away at sth erode 腐蚀; 侵蚀
*The river is eating away at the bank. 河水侵蚀着两岸. eat into sth
(a) consume sth; destroy; dissolve; corrode 消耗某事物; 毁坏; 分解; 腐蚀
*Acids eat into metal. 酸能腐蚀金属.
(b) (fig 比喻) consume a part of sth 消耗某事物的一部分
*Paying for that new carpet has eaten into my savings. 付新地毯的款用去了我的一部分储蓄. eat out have a meal in a restaurant, etc rather than at home 在饭馆等处吃饭（不在家中吃）
*I'm too tired to cook tonight; shall we eat out? 我今晚累得不想做饭了, 咱们下饭馆好吗? eat sb up (fig 比喻) (usu passive 通常用于被动语态) consume; obsess; worry 操心; 烦扰; 担忧
*be eaten up with curiosity, anger, envy, etc 受好奇心、愤怒、妒忌等煎熬
* Jealousy was eating him up. 嫉妒心在折磨着他.
v past tenseate [et, eɪt (US) eɪt/
1. Eat more and smoke less! 多吃点，少抽点！
2. Eat these foods with plentiful Vitamin C (for example, drink orange juice with cereal or put a tomato on a sandwich) to enhance the amount of iron absorbed." 摄取含有大量维生素C的食物——比如吃麦片时喝橘子汁，或在三明治内夹上番茄——可以促进铁离子的吸收。"
3. We will eat first and go out afterwards. 我们先吃饭，然后再出去。
4. We owe a lot to the birds and beasts who eat insects. 我们十分感激食虫的飞禽和走兽.
5. We eat the flesh of animals , birds , and fish. 我们吃兽类、禽类和鱼类的肉。
6. We will eat mooncake tonight. 我们今晚吃月饼.
7. We owe a lot to the birds and beasts who eat insects but all of them put together kill only a fraction of the number destroyed by spiders. 我们要十分感谢那些吃昆虫的鸟和兽，然而把它们所杀死的昆虫全部加在一起也只相当于蜘蛛所消灭的一小部分。
8. We resolve to get up earlier each morning, eat less, 我们决心每天早晨起得早些；吃得少些；
9. While active, child-bearing age women are most likely to have low iron stores, he notes, "Men are not safe, especially if they don't eat meat and have a high level of physical activity." 他还指出，虽然积极锻炼的育龄妇女最有可能铁离子储量低，"但男性也并非不缺铁，尤其是在他们不吃肉类而又从事高强度的体力活动的情况下。"
10. The sad truth is that most of us have been brought up to eat certain foods and we stick to them all our lives. 不无遗憾的是， 我们中的大部分人，生来就只吃某几种食品，而且一辈子都这样。