n.失败,缺点,弱点,过失 prep.如果没有... adj.失败的
n weakness or fault (of character); shortcoming （性格中的）弱点, 缺陷, 短处
*We all have our little failings. 我们都有小的缺点.
1 if (sth) does not happen; without (sth) 如果（某事）不发生; 如果没有（某事物）
*failing this, ie if this does not happen 倘若此事不发生
* failing an answer, ie if no answer is received 若无答覆.
2 if (sb) is not available 如果（某人）不在; 如果没有（某人）
*Failing Smith, try Jones. 要是史密斯不在, 就找琼斯.
1. We have systematically looked down on old women, kept them out of productive life, judged them primarily in terms of failing capacities and functions, and then found them pitiful. 我们一贯从各方面瞧不起老年妇女，不让她们参加生产活动，主要从其日渐衰落的能力和作用上去评价她们，还要说她们很可怜。
2. The administration claims that failing to do so would be begging terrorists and criminals to plot together via the information superhighway. 政府称不这样做就等于让恐怖分子和犯罪分子通过信息高速公路来共同策划阴谋。
3. His failing is due to incompetence. 他的失败是无能造成的。
4. He was sent to prison for failing to pay his debts and died in poverty in 1836. 他因无力还债而被捕入狱，最后于1836年在贫困中死去。
5. "He's having a really hard time in school — failing one of his really difficult classes. I'm worried about him." "他在学校日子真的不好过，有一门功课非常难，他不及格。我为他担心。"
6. "I don't get it. Why does he have to drop out? He's only failing one class," said Autumn. "这我就不明白了。他为什么想中途辍学？他只不过一门功课不好，" 秋说道。
7. Residents of the state of Wisconsin (威斯康星州), he notes, can lose their license for not paying library fines, neglecting to shovel snow away from the walk in front of their house, or failing to trim a tree whose branches hang over a neighbor's property 他提到，威斯康星州的居民可能会因未付图书馆罚款，未将门前步道上的积雪清除，未将伸到邻家宅院上的树枝修剪掉而失去驾驶执照。