/'feɪməs; `feməs/ adj
1 ~ (for sth) known to very many people; celebrated 出名的; 着名的
*Paris is a famous city. 巴黎是着名的城市.
* New York is famous for its skyscrapers. 纽约以其摩天大楼驰名.
* She is famous as a writer. 她是着名的作家.
2 (dated infml 旧, 口) excellent 极好的
*We've won a famous victory. 我们赢得了辉煌的胜利.
3 (idm 习语) famous last words (joc catchphrase 谑, 警语) (said when sb has made an important, optimistic, etc statement which may turn out to be untrue and which he may regret saying 有人说出重要的、胸有成竹之类的话, 但却可能不确而使说话的人自觉悔不该言, 此时用此词组).
[Date: 1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin: fameus, from Latin fama; FAME]
a) known about by many people in many places
a famous actor
Many famous people have stayed in the hotel.
The Eiffel Tower is a famous landmark (=a famous place or building that is easy to recognize) .
France is famous for its wine.
Virginia is famous as the birthplace of several US presidents.
Da Vinci's world-famous portrait of the Mona Lisa
b) the famous [plural]
people who are famous
a nightclub used by the rich and famous
famous last words
spoken used when someone has said too confidently that they can do something or that something will happen
WORD FOCUS: famous
similar words: well-known, celebrated, renowned, eminent, noted, legendary
famous for doing something bad: notorious, infamous
not famous: little-known, unknown, obscure
a famous person: celebrity, celeb(informal), star
1. Edison became famous. 爱迪生出名了.
2. For though the pictures were supposed to be the work of famous artists, they had in fact been painted by Dickie. 因为这些画名义上是名家的作品，事实上是迪基自己画的。
3. When you visit London, one of the first things you will see is Big Ben, the famous clock which can be heard all over the world on the B. B. C. 当你游览伦敦时，首先看到的东西之一就是"大本"钟，即那座从英国广播公司的广播中全世界都可以听到它的声音的著名大钟。
4. Want to get rich? Become famous? You don't have to be a film star or a basketball player or a musician. You can do it by becoming an inventor. 想富起来吗？想出名吗？你并不一定要成为影星、篮球运动员或音乐家。你可以通过当发明家来实现自己的梦想。
5. The expensive shops in a famous arcade near Piccadilly were just opening. 皮卡迪利大街附近的一著名的拱廊街道上,几家高挡商店刚刚开门.
6. The attribution of the play to that famous poet was shown to be wrong. 现在已经证明该剧本并非那位著名诗人所作。
7. The old man is famous for superb calligraphy. 那个老人以出色的书法著名。
8. The city is famous for its density of population. 这座城市因人口稠密而闻名。
9. This kind of tree is famous for its fertility. 这种树因其多产而闻名。
10. The bank is controlled by a famous financier. 这家银行由一位著名的金融家控制。