gener＝to produce（制造；生产），race（种族） 变化型 gen，gent
adj (approv 褒)
1 giving or ready to give freely 慷慨的; 大方的
*generous with one's money/in giving help 用钱大方的[慷慨助人的]
* It was generous of you to share your food with me. 你把食物与我分享, 真慷慨.
2 given freely; plentiful 慷慨给予的; 大量的; 丰富的
*a generous gift, offer, increase 丰厚的礼物、慷慨的提议、大量的增加
* a generous helping of potatoes 一大份马铃薯.
3 free from meanness or prejudice; magnanimous 心地高尚的; 无偏见的; 宽宏大量的
*a generous mind, spirit, etc 高尚的心、精神等
* A wise ruler is generous in victory. 贤明的统治者在胜利时能宽宏大量. > generously adv
*Please give generously. 请慷慨施予.
* a dress cut generously, ie using plenty of material 用料多的连衣裙.
1500-1600; Language: French;Origin:
généreux, from Latin
generosus 'born into a high rank'
, from genus; GENUS
someone who is generous is willing to give money, spend time etc, in order to help people or give them pleasure
≠ meangenerous to She's always very generous to the kids.generous with Jim is very generous with his time.it/that is generous (of sb) It was generous of them to ask Anna along.generous offer/support/donation etc my employer's generous offer to pay the bill
larger or more than the usual size or amount
≠ measly a generous glass of winegenerous amount/helping/measure etc a generous helping of pasta He had a well-shaped, generous mouth.
sympathetic in the way you deal with people, and tending to see the good qualities in someone or something
≠ mean She was generous enough to overlook my little mistake.>generouslyadv Please give generously to the refugee fund. Spread each slice generously with butter.
1. He is a generous middle-aged man. 他是一个慷慨的中年人.
2. You malign a generous person when you call him a stingy person. 当你说一个慷慨的人吝啬时，你是在诋毁他。
3. "Well, really, it is very generous of you," said little Hans. “啊，你真是太慷慨了，”小汉斯说道。