(a) (usu pl 通常作复数) thing that happens; event; occurrence 发生的事; 事情; 事件
*There have been strange happenings here lately. 这里近来发生了一些怪事.
(b) special event, esp a spontaneous theatrical performance 特殊的事; （尤指）戏剧的即兴表演.
1. Both men had hardly had time to realize what was happening when they were thrown violently into the sea. 两个人都来不及弄清发生了什么事，就被猛烈地抛进了海里。
2. Both men had hardly had time to realize what was happening when they were thrown violently into the sea. 他们两个还没来得及意识到究竟发生了什么事情，就被猛地抛入了海里。
3. We can´t have that sort of thing happening. 我们不能允许发生这样的事。
4. What's happening now is a familiar experience for Johnson. 现在发生的一切对约翰逊并不陌生。
5. Take, for example, what´s happening at some supermarkets. 以一些超级市场的现行情况为例：
6. The anger and frustration displayed by people who do not understand what is happening to them will be a terrible and dangerous force in all the major industrial economies. 那些不理解正在他们的身上发生着的事情的人们所表现出来的愤怒和失望将成为所有主要工业国家中的一股可怕和危险的力量。
7. Nothing particularly alarming is happening to its companions. 同伴们并未发生什么特别令人担惊受怕的事情。
8. He didn´t feel very affirmative about what was happening. 他对正在发生的事情不抱肯定态度。
9. Munich was the nearest analogue to what was happening then. 当时事态用慕尼黑事件来做比拟最为恰当。
10. “We went to the window to see what was happening,” the husband said, “but the light from our bedroom made it difficult to see the street.” 我们走到窗口去看发生了什么事，" 丈夫说，"但房间里的灯光使我们看不清街上的情况。"