动词过去式:circumstanced 过去分词:circumstanced 现在分词:circumstancing 第三人称单数:circumstances
circum-=around,round about 变化型 circu-
1 [C usu pl 通常作复数] condition or fact connected with an event or action 环境; 情形; 情况
*What were the circumstances of/surrounding her death? ie Where, when and how did she die? 她是在什么情况下死的? （她是在何地、何时及如何死的?）
* She was found dead in suspicious circumstances, ie She may have been murdered. 她死的情形可疑（她可能是被谋杀的）.
* He was a victim of circumstance(s), ie What happened to him was beyond his control. 他是客观环境的牺牲者（他所遇到的事是他无法控制的）.
* Circumstances forced us to change our plans. 客观情况迫使我们改变了计划.
2 circumstances [pl] financial position 经济状况
*What are his circumstances? 他的经济状况如何?
* in easy/poor circumstances, ie having much/not enough money 处于富裕[贫穷]境况.
3 (idm 习语) in/under the `circumstances this being the case; such being the state of affairs 在这种情况下; 情形既然如此
*Under the circumstances (eg because the salary offered was too low) he felt unable to accept the job. 在这种情况下（如所提的薪金太低）, 他觉得无法接受这项工作.
* She coped well in the circumstances, eg even though she was feeling ill. 她在这种情况下仍处理得当（如虽然身体不适）. in/under no circumstances in no case; never 在任何情况下决不; 无论如何不
*Under no circumstances should you lend him any money. 你无论如何都不该把钱借给他. in straitened circumstances => straitened. pomp and circumstance => pomp.
1100-1200; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
circumstantia, from circumstare 'to stand around'
, from circum- ( CIRCUM-
) + stare 'to stand'
] [C usually plural]
the conditions that affect a situation, action, event etc The Soviet Union had been forced by circumstances to sign a pact with Nazi Germany. I can't imagine a circumstance in which I would be willing to steal.in ... circumstances The rules can only be waived in exceptional circumstances.under ... circumstances Prisoners can only leave their cells under certain circumstances (=if particular conditions exist) . He was found dead in suspicious circumstances (=in a way that makes you think something illegal or dishonest has happened) . Unless there are extenuating circumstances , all students must be present on the day of the exam (=reasons which make you feel that it was reasonable for someone to break the usual rules) .under no circumstancesalsoin no circumstancesBrE
used to emphasize that something must definitely not happen Under no circumstances are you to leave the house.under/given the circumstancesalsoin the circumstancesBrE
used to say that a particular situation makes an action, decision etc necessary, acceptable, or true when it would not normally be It's the best result that could be expected under the circumstances.[U]formal
the combination of facts, events etc that influence your life, and that you cannot control He was a victim of circumstance .circumstances [plural]formal
the conditions in which you live, especially how much money you haveeconomic/financial/personal etc circumstances Whether or not you qualify for a loan will depend on your financial circumstances. people living in difficult social circumstancesin reduced circumstancesold-fashioned
(=with much less money than you used to have)
→pomp and circumstanceatpomp
1. There are even stories of half-trained elephant calves who have refused to feed and pined to death when by some unavoidable circumstance they have been deprived of their own trainer. 甚至有这样的故事：训练了一半的小象，由于不可避免的情况与他们的主人分离后，竟拒绝吃食，消瘦至死。