(infml 口) (usu in questions after how 通常用于how之後的问句) manage; survive; fare 设法应付; 活下来; 过活
*How did he make out while his wife was away? 他妻子不在家时他是怎么生活的?
* How are you making out with Mary? ie How is your relationship with her developing? 你与玛丽的关系怎样了? make sb `out understand (sb's character) 了解（某人的性格）
*What a strange person she is! I can't make her out at all. 她这个人真怪! 我根本无法了解她. make sb/sth out manage to see sb/sth or read sth 辨认出某人[某物]
*I could just make out a figure in the darkness. 我隐约看见黑暗中有个人影.
* The dim outline of a house could be made out. 有一所房子的模糊轮廓依稀可辨.
* Can you make out what that sign says? 你看得见牌子上写的是什么吗? make sth out write out sth; complete sth 写出或填写某内容
*make out a cheque for
* Applications must be made out in triplicate. 申请书必须填写一式三份.
* The doctor made me out a prescription. 医生给我开了一个处方. make sth out; make out if/whether... understand sth 理解某事物
*I can't make out what she wants. 我不明白她想要什么.
* How do you make that out? ie How did you reach that conclusion? 你怎么得出那个结论的?
* I can't make out if she enjoys her job or not. 我不知道她是否喜欢她的工作. make out that...; make oneself/sb/sth out to be... claim; assert; maintain 声称; 断言; 坚持
*He made out that he had been robbed. 他声称他遭到抢劫.
* She's not as rich as people make out/as people make her out to be. 她并不像人们说的那么富有.
* He makes himself out to be cleverer than he really is. 他把自己说得比实际聪明.
1. Economize in order to make one´s money spin out until next payday. 节省花钱以维持到下一次发薪。
2. Ever since then, the great monument has been a symbol of liberty for the millions of people who have passed through New York Harbour to make their homes in America. 从那时起，这座伟大的纪念碑对通过纽约港进入美国定居的千百万人来说就一直是自由的象征。
3. Everything was so relaxed it did not seem possible that the conference was about to make decisions involving the fortunes of millions of people. 一切看起来都是那样的轻松，好象要在这次会议上来决定数百万人命运的大事有点不大可能。
4. Eliot says you can first make a list of 12 things, then cut it down to 6 and set your priorities. 埃利奥特说，你可以先列出12件事，然后把它压缩到6件，要确定轻重缓急。
5. Euro Disney officials said they expected to make a small profit for the financial year ending September 30. 欧洲迪斯尼行政人员说他们希望在9月30日结束的这个财政年度中能小有盈余。
6. By the time we reach the Rockies, my parents try to make me look at the spectacular landscapes we're passing by. 当我们驶近落基山脉时，我父母想叫我看看我们外面的壮丽景色。
7. But he felt pretty good he had been one of the lucky ones, who had received his shots to make him young again before he turned 40, so he was still a young-looking fellow. 他曾经是那些幸运者中的一个，这些幸运者在40岁之前接受了重返青春的注射，因此他看上去仍像个年轻人。
8. Before we go any further, it might make sense to require a temporary pause on research into human cloning in order to make a systematic enquiry into the grave questions it raises. 在我们尚未继续前进之前，最好是先要求暂时停止克隆人类的研究，以便系统地研究它所引发的深刻问题。
9. But make no mistake about it, what most of them are about is money — and how financial assets will be divided up if a couple divorces. 但是不要弄错了，大多数婚前协议涉及到的都是钱——以及如果夫妻一旦离婚该怎样分配财产。
10. By taking people as they are, we make them worse, but by treating them as if they already were what they ought to be, we help make them better. 视人静止不变，则令其退步，而视其进步发展、待他如同他的潜力已经发挥，则助其进步。