n instrumentwith lenses for making very small objects appear larger 显微镜
*examine bacteria under a microscope 用显微镜检查细菌
* (fig 比喻) put politicians under the microscope, ie examine them closely 用显微镜观察政治家. =>illus 见插图.
[Date: 1600-1700; Language: Modern Latin;Origin: microscopium, from micro- ( MICRO-) + -scopium (from Greek -skopion 'instrument for seeing')]
a scientific instrument that makes extremely small things look larger
under/through a microscope
Abnormalities in the cells can be seen quite clearly under a microscope.
Each sample was examined through a microscope.
put sth under the microscope
to examine a situation very closely and carefully
Our prison system is being put under the microscope after an alarming number of deaths and suicides this year.
1. * biologists using a powerful microscope to study the mosquito; * 使用高倍显微镜来研究蚊子的生物学家；
2. The smallest living things that can be seen under a microscope are bacteria. 在显微镜下可以见到的最小的有生命的东西是细菌。
3. The scientific instruments they had brought with them aroused great curiosity, and none more so than the microscope. 他们带来的科学仪器激起了人们极大的好奇，尤其是显微镜。
4. This is one case where even people bothered by creating a child under the lens of a microscope might see cloning as not the worst option. 在这个例子中，就连不愿意在显微镜下创造孩子的人也可能认为克隆不是最坏的选择。
5. He allowed a mosquito of a group named Anopheles to make a bite as planned, and a few days later his microscope revealed plasmodium multiplying in the mosquito´s stomach. 他根据预定步骤，让一只“按蚊”叮了疟疾患者，几天之后从显微镜下观察，蚊子腹内的疟原虫在繁殖。
6. Charles Laveran, a French physician stationed in Algeria and later a Nobel laureate, took blood from a patient ill with malaria, and after two years of careful work (1878-1880) found that it contained tiny organisms under his powerful microscope. 一位在阿尔及利亚工作站工作的名叫查尔斯·拉弗兰的法国医生——后来的诺贝尔奖金获得者——从一名疟疾患者身上抽取了血液。经过两年的仔细工作（1878—1880），在他的高倍显微镜下面发现里面含有微小的生物有机体。
7. On one occasion Humboldt took a louse from a servant´s hair and put it under the microscope. 一次，洪堡从一个仆人的头上拿下一只虱子放到了显微镜的下面。