1 (a) that cannot be found or that is not in its usual place; lost 找不到的; 不在原处的; 失去的
*The book had two pages missing/two missing pages. 那本书缺两页.
* The hammer is missing from my tool-box. 我的工具箱里少了一把锤子.
(b) not present 不在场的
*He's always missing when there's work to be done. 一到干活儿的时候, 他就不见了.
2 that cannot be found; absent from home 失踪的; 不在家的
*a police file on missing persons 警方为失踪者立的档案
* The child had been missing for a week. 孩子下落不明已有一周了.
3 (of a soldier, etc) neither present after a battle nor known to have been killed （指士兵等）（战斗後）下落不明的
*Two planes were reported (as) missing. 据报有两架飞机失踪.
4 (idm 习语) a/the ,missing `link
(a) thing needed to complete a series or solve a puzzle （为完成一系列事物或解决一难题）所缺的一环.
(b) type of animal thought to have existed between the apes and early man 设想在类人猿和早期人类之间的过渡动物.
something that is missing is not in its usual place, so that you cannot find it
We found the missing piece of the jigsaw under the chair.
The keys have been missing for ages.
Two bottles were missing from the drugs cupboard.
The scissors have gone missing again.
if part of something is missing, it is no longer attached or has been destroyed
Two of her front teeth were missing.
The last page of the diary was missing.
There's a button missing from your shirt.
someone who is missing has disappeared, and no one knows if they are alive or dead
Two crew members survived, but two are still missing.
Nearly 100,000 young people go missing in Britain each year.
When Lily did not come home, her parents called the police to report her missing .
not present or not included in something
Why is my name missing from the list?
Something was missing from her life.
missing in action
a soldier who is missing in action has not returned after a battle and their body has not been found
1. The Titanic turned just in time, narrowly missing the immense wall of ice which rose over 100 feet out of the water beside her. "泰坦尼克"这个弯拐得及时，紧贴着高出海面100英尺的巨大的冰墙擦过去。
2. The inspector then asked the old lady to try to check what was missing by the next day and advised her not to stay alone in the flat for a few nights. 巡官请老妇人在次日之前设法查清丢了些什么，并劝她几夜之内不要独自一人在公寓过夜。
3. This step was taken in 1898 by Italian biologists, who provided the last missing link in man´s search for the cause of malaria. 1898年，意大利的生物学家采取了这一步，并为人类寻找疟疾起因的探索补上了所缺的最后一环。
4. There, he believes, most of the missing vessels — and their crews — may still be on display for study by these higher intelligences. 他相信大部分失踪的船只和船员可能依然被陈列在那里，供那些高级智能生命研究。
5. He spent a miserable day in bed thinking of all the fun he was missing. 他在床上郁郁不乐地躺了一天，想着他错过的种种欢乐。
6. As no pumas had been reported missing from any zoo in the country, 由于全国动物园没有一家报告丢了美洲狮，
7. A rescue plane was sent to search for the missing aircraft, and it, too, disappeared without trace. 一架救援飞机被派出去搜寻失踪的飞机，但同样，它也消失得无影无踪。
8. An immediate search over 100,000 square miles of sea failed to turn up a single piece of the missing plane. 随后立即展开了范围宽达100,000平方英里的海面搜索，但没有发现一片失踪飞机的残骸。
9. A year later, the missing airliner's sister plane disappeared. 一年后，失踪飞机的姊妹机也消失了。
10. Seventy-two search planes, plus dozens of ships, failed to turn up any sign of the missing aircraft. 72架搜索飞机加上几十艘船，都没能找到失踪飞机的任何踪影。