/neɪm; nem/ n
1 [C] word or words by which a person, an animal, a place or a thing is known and spoken to or of 名字; 名称
*My name is Peter. 我名叫彼得.
* What is the name of the town where you live? 你住的那个城市叫什么名字?
2 (a) [sing] reputation; fame 名誉; 名声
*a shop with a (good, bad, etc) name for reliability 信誉（好、不好等）的商店.
(b) [attrib 作定语] (esp US) having a well-known name or an established reputation 有名的; 名声卓着的
*a name brand of soap 名牌肥皂
* a big-name company 大名鼎鼎的公司.
3 [C] famous person 着名的人物; 名人
*the great names of history 历史上的伟人
* All the big names in the pop music world were at the party. 流行音乐界的头面人物都参加了聚会.
4 (idm 习语) answer to the name of sth => answer2. be sb's middle name => middle. by name having or using a name or names 名为; 名叫
*A strange man, Fred by name, came to see me. 有个名叫弗雷德的陌生人来找我.
* The teacher knows all his students by name. 这位老师叫得出所有学生的名字.
* I only know her by name, ie from hearing others speak of her, not personally. 我只知道她的名字（只听说过, 并不认识）. by/of the name of named 称作; 叫作
*He goes by the name of Henry. 他名叫亨利.
* Someone of the name of Henry wants to see you. 有个叫亨利的要见您.call sb names => call2. drag sb/sb's name throughthe mire/mud => drag2. drop names => drop2. enter one's name/put one's name down (for sth) apply to enter (a school, college, course, etc) 报名上（学、课等）. give a dog a bad name => dog1. give one's name to sth invent or originate sth which then becomes known by one's own name 以自己的名字命名某发明创造
*He gave his name to a well-known brand of frozen food. 他以自己的名字命名的冷冻食品成了名牌. a household name/word => dhousehold. in the name of sb/sth
(a) on behalf of sb/sth 代表某人[某事物]
*I greet you in the name of the President. 我代表总统前来迎接您.
(b) by the authority of sth 凭借某事物的权威
*I arrest you in the name of the law. 我依法逮捕你.
(c) calling sb/sth to witness 以某人[某事物]为证
*In God's name, what are you doing? 苍天在上, 你究竟在干什么?
(d) for the sake of sth 为某事物的缘故
*They did it all in the name of friendship. 他们完全是出于友谊而那样做. in name only not in reality 表面上; 名义上
*He is leader in name only
*his deputy has effectively taken over. 他不过是个应名儿领导, 他的副手实际上已取而代之. lend one's name to sth => lend. make a `name for oneself/make one's `name become well known 成名; 出名
*She first made a name for herself as an actress. 她最初是以当演员而成名的. sb's name is mud sb is disliked or (often temporarily) unpopular because of sth he has done 某人因所做某事而不受欢迎或（常为一时）不得人心. name names => name2. thename of the `game the main purpose or most importantaspect of an activity 一项活动的主要目的或最重要的方面
*Hard work is the name of the game if you want to succeed in business. 要想生意兴隆, 关键就是苦干. a name to conjure with name of a person, group, company, etc that is respected and influential 受尊敬而有影响的人、团体、公司等的名字. not have sth to one's `name not possess even a small amount of (esp money) 一点儿（尤指钱）都没有; 一文不名
*She hasn't a penny to her name, ie is very poor. 她已一文不名（极穷）. put a name to sb/sth know or remember what sb/sth is called 知道或记住某人[某事物]的名称
*I've heard that tune before but I can't put a name to it. 我以前听过那曲调, 但说不出名字了. take sb's name in vain use a name, esp God's, disrespectfully 滥用（尤指上帝的）名字; 亵渎上帝之名. under the name (of) sth using sth as a name instead of one's real name 用某某作名字（不用自己的真名）
*He writes under the name of Nimrod. 他用尼姆罗德这个名字写作.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Your first name (US often given name) is, in English-speaking countries, the name given to you by your parents at birth. 在说英语的国家中first name（美语常作given name）是名字, 是出生时父母给取的. The name common to your family is your family name or, more usually, surname. 姓是family name, 多作surname. *In Christian countries Christian name is often used for first name. 在基督教国家中, 常以教名（Christian name）为名（first name）. *Forename, also meaning first name, is formal and is often found on documents, application forms, etc. *forename也是first name, 但用法较庄重, 常见于文件、申请表格等中.
1 [Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.n] ~ sb/sth (after sb); US ~ sb/sth (for sb) give a name to sb/sth 给某人[某事物]取名; 命名
*The child was named after its father, ie given its father's first name. 那个孩子是按他父亲的名字取的名.
* Tasmania was named after its discoverer, A. J. Tasman. 塔斯曼尼亚岛是以其发现者塔斯曼的名字命名的.
* They named their child John. 他们给孩子取名叫约翰.
2 [Tn] give the name(s) of (sb/sth); identify 说出（某人[某事物]）的名字; 识别
*Can you name all the plants in this garden? 你能说出这花园里所有植物的名字吗?
* Police have named a man they would like to question. 警方已查出他们要审讯的男子.
3 [Tn] state (sth) precisely; specify 确定（某事物）; 指定
*We have named a date for the party. 我们已定好聚会的日期.
* Name your price, ie Say what price you want to charge. 你开价吧（说出你想要的价钱）.
* The young couple have named the day, ie chosen the day on which they will get married. 这对年轻人已定下婚期.
4 [Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.n/a] ~ sb (for sth); ~ sb as sth nominate sb for, or appoint sb to, a position 提名某人或指定某人任一职务
*Ms X has been named for the directorship/named as the new director. 某女士已被提名任董事职务[任命为新董事].
5 (idm 习语) name `names givethe name of a person or people being criticized, accused,praised, etc 指出受批评、受指责、受称赞等人的名字
*He said someone had lied but wouldn't name names. 他说有人说谎, 但他不愿指名道姓. to name but a `few giving only these as examples 仅以这些为例
*Lots of our friends are coming
*Anne, Ken and George, to name but a few. 我们的好多朋友都来
*如安妮、肯、乔治等. you `name it (infml 口) every thing, place, etc you can name or think of 能说出或想到的任何东西、地方等
*She can make anything
*chairs, tables, cupboards you name it. 她什么都会做