1 [CGp] assembly that makes the laws of a country 议会; 国会
*the French, Spanish, etc parliament 法国、西班牙等的议会.
2 Parliament chief law-making assembly of the United Kingdom, consisting of the House of Commons, the House of Lords and the sovereign 英国国会（包括下议院、上议院和英王）
*the ,Houses of `Parliament 国会两院
* a ,Member of `Parliament 国会议员
* The issue was debated in Parliament. 这问题在国会中辩论过.
* get into (ie be elected a Member of) Parliament 被选为议员
* adjourn, dissolve
(a) Parliament 国会休会、解散国会
* the State Opening of Parliament, ie the ceremony in which the sovereign opens a new session of Parliament （君主参加的新的一届）国会会议开幕式.
3 [C] Parliament as it exists during the period of time between one General Election and the next 两次大选之间的一届议会或国会
*The government is unlikely to get the bill through within (the lifetime of) this Parliament. 政府不大可能在本届国会（会期）内通过该项法案.
4 [C] building where a parliament meets 议会或国会的大厦.
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
parlement, from parler; PARLEY
][C] [also + plural verb British English]
the group of people who are elected to make a country's laws and discuss important national affairs
, MP MP They demanded a free parliament and press.Parliament [singular also + plural verb British English]
the main law-making institution in the UK, which consists of the House of Commons
and the House of Lords The bill was passed by Parliament in April.enter/get into Parliament
(=be elected as a member of Parliament) in Parliament He failed to win a seat in Parliament.before Parliament The new laws will be placed before Parliament.
the period during which the British Parliament meets We expect to get these laws passed during the present parliament.
1. Big Ben takes its name from Sir Benjamin Hall who was responsible for the making of the clock when the new Houses of Parliament were being built. "大本"钟得名于本杰明.霍尔爵士，因为当建造新的国会大厦时，他负责建造大钟。
2. The police were called in, but they could not arrest anyone, for the basket contained two Members of Parliament and the Commanding Officer of the station! 警察被召来了，但他们却不能逮捕任何人，因为筐里是两名国会议员和一名基地的指挥官！
3. This was established by Act of Parliament in 1752, but many people thought that they were losing 11 days out of their lives. 这已经在1752年的国会法令中通过，但是很多人认为他们的生命中失去了11天。
4. He may gently reprimand an official or even suggest to parliament that a law be altered. 他可以善意地批评某位官员，也可以甚至向议会提议修改某项法律。
5. As long ago as 1809, the Swedish Parliament introduced a scheme to safeguard the interest of the individual. 早在1809年，瑞典论会就建立一个保护公民利益的制度。
6. She is our local representative in Parliament. 她是国会中我们地区的代表.
7. Parliament was hastily recalled from recess. 休会的议员被匆匆召回议事。
8. Parliament is ( or are) sitting. 国会正在开会。
9. Members of Parliament are politicians. 国会议员都是搞政治的。
10. If the Houses of Parliament had not been burned down in 1834, the great clock would never have been erected. 如果不是国会大厦在1834年被焚毁的话，这座大钟永远也不会建造。