adj.静止的,宁静的,从容的 n.安静,闲适 vi.平静下来 vt.使平静,使安心,减轻(疑虑、恐惧等)
名词:quietness 副词:quietly 形容词比较级:quieter 最高级:quietest 动词过去式:quieted 过去分词:quieted 现在分词:quieting 第三人称单数:quiets
adj (-er, -est)
1 with little or no sound; not noisy or loud 轻声的; 无声的; 安静的
*her quiet voice, footsteps 她那轻轻的嗓音、脚步声
* Be quiet (ie silent), please! 请安静!
* Can't you keep the children quiet? I'm trying to concentrate. 你能不能让孩子们静一静? 我做事需要精神集中.
2 with little or no movement or disturbance （几乎）不动的; 静止的; 平静的; 安定的
*The roads are usually quiet in the afternoon. 下午路面通常很清静.
* The sea looks quieter now. 现在海面看起来平静些了.
* Business is quiet at this time of the year. 一年中的这个时候生意很淡.
3 without excitement, activity or interruption 无感情波动的; 无活动的; 不受干扰的
*lead a quiet life 过着平淡的生活
* have a quiet smoke 悠闲地吸着烟
* have a quiet evening at home 在家度过恬静的夜晚
* Their wedding was very quiet. 他们的婚礼很平淡.
4 gentle; not forceful 文静的; 温和的; 温顺的
*a lady of a quiet disposition 文静的女士.
5 (of colours) not bright; unobtrusive （指颜色）不鲜艳的, 暗淡的, 素净的
*a quiet shade of blue 暗淡的蓝色.
6 not expressed loudly; restrained 不大声表达的; 克制的
*have a quiet laugh about sth 轻声笑某事物
* Her manner concealed quiet resentment. 她心中怨恨而不形于色. =>Usage 见所附用法.
7 (idm 习语) keep quiet about sth; keep sth quiet say nothing about sth 对某事物缄默不语
*I've decided to resign but I'd prefer you to keep quiet about it. 我已决定辞职, 你先别声张. (as) quiet as a `mouse making very little sound 不出声; 无声响.
1 state of being quiet; tranquillity 寂静; 平静
*the quiet of the countryside 乡村的寂静
* live in peace and quiet 过着平静、安定的生活.
2 (idm 习语)
v [I, Ip, Tn, Tn.p] ~ (sb/sth) (down) (esp US) become or make (sb/sth) quiet 安静下来; 使（某人[某事物]）安静, 平静
*quiet a frightened horse 使受惊的马静下来.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Quiet, silent and calm can all be applied to both people and things and generallyindicate the absence of a quality rather than the presence of something. *quiet, silent, calm三词用于人和事物均可, 通常指不具有某种性质, 而不指具有某种性质. A silent film has no speech and a silent machine makes no noise. *silent影片没有言语, 而silent机器没有噪声. The opposite of reading silently (or to oneself) is reading aloud. 与reading silently（或to oneself）（默读）相对的是reading aloud（读出声来）. Quiet can mean silent *quiet可意为silent
*Quiet! Don't make any noise! 静一静! 不要出声! It can also indicate a lack of disturbance 这个词还可指没有骚扰
*a quiet road with few cars 没有什么汽车经过的平静的道路.
* Politicians must sometimes long for a quieter life. 政治家有时巴不得能过些清静日子. The opposite of quiet music is loudmusic. 与quiet music（轻柔的音乐）相对的是loud music（喧闹的音乐）. Still indicates the absence of movement *still意思是不动
*Stand still! 站着别动! It may also suggest a lack of noise 这个词也可指没有噪声
*a still night after a stormy day 白天风暴过後的寂静的夜晚. Acalm person shows no agitation in difficult circumstances.*calm形容人, 意为在困难情况下不慌里慌张. A calm sea has no, or only small, waves. *calm形容海洋, 意为没有波浪或只有波纹.
1. Everything´s very quiet. very quiet. 一点声音也没有,
2. Everything´s very quiet. 毫无动静，
3. This shadowy path is cool and quiet. 这条多阴的小道凉爽而幽静。
4. The best physicians are Dr. Diet, Dr. Quiet, and Dr. Merryman. 节食博士、精心博士、快乐博士，三人都是最好的医生。
5. The quiet life of the country has never appealed to me. 宁静的乡村生活从来没有吸引过我。
6. Late-night parties in apartment blocks, noisy neighbours, vehicles of all kinds, especially large container trucks thundering through quiet villages, planes and helicopters flying overhead, 大声吵闹的邻居，各式各样的车辆，特别是穿越寂静的村庄的集装箱卡车，从头顶飞过的飞机和直升机，被带到公共场所、
7. The children were at school, my husband was at work and the house was quiet. 孩子们在上学，我丈夫在上班，家里清静得很。
8. The crowd suddenly grew quiet. The drunk, however, seemed quite sure of himself. 观众突然静了下来，可这醉汉像是很有把握似的。
9. The library is always quiet even on very busy days. 图书馆里总是安安静静的，即使在人很多的时候。
10. The classroom was very quiet. 教室里鸦雀无声。