名词:racker 动词过去式:racked 过去分词:racked 现在分词:racking 第三人称单数:racks
1 (often in compounds 常用以构成复合词) framework, usu with bars or pegs, for holding things or for hanging things on （放东西或挂东西用的）架子
*a `plate-rack 盘碟架
* a `wine-rack, ie for holding wine bottles 酒瓶架
* a `toast-rack 面包片架
* a `hat-rack 帽架.
2 type of shelf for light luggage, coats, etc over the seats of a bus, train, plane, etc （公共汽车、火车、飞机等座位上方放置轻便行李、衣物等的）行李架
*a `luggage-rack 行李架.
3 rod, bar or rail with teeth or cogs, into which those of a wheel, gear, etc fit 齿条; 齿板; 齿轨
*a `steering rack, eg on a cable car 转向齿条（如缆车上的）. Cf 参看 pinion2.
1 (usu 通常作 the rack) (formerly) instrument of torture consisting of a frame with rollers to which a person's wrists and ankles were tied so that his joints were stretched when the rollers were turned （旧时）拉肢拷问台（一种刑具）
*put sb on the rack 对某人施以拉肢之刑.
2 (idm 习语) on the `rack in severe pain or mental distress （肉体或精神上）受极大折磨.
1 [Tn] torture (sb) on the rack 以拉肢之刑拷问或折磨（某人）.
2 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] (of disease, pain or mental distress) cause agony to (sb) （指疾病、疼痛、苦恼等）使（某人）极为痛苦
*racked with pain, fever, etc 因疼痛、发烧等而痛苦
* A coughing fit racked her whole body. 她一阵咳嗽全身都十分难受.
* a voice racked by sobs/weeping 抽抽搭搭[哭哭啼啼]的痛苦的声音
* racked by (feelings of) guilt, remorse, doubt, etc 深受内疚、悔恨、怀疑等之苦.
3 (idm 习语) rack one's `brain(s) try very hard to think of sth or recall sth 苦思某事; 努力回忆某事
*We racked our brains for an answer. 我们为寻找答案而绞尽脑汁.
* I've been racking my brains (trying) to remember his name. 我一直在回想他的名字.
n (idm 习语) go to ,rack and `ruin fall into a ruined or disorganized state through neglect 因忽视而致毁坏、混乱或瓦解
*The old empty house soon went to rack and ruin. 这所旧的空房子很快就毁坏了.
* This country is going to rack and ruin; we need a change of government. 这个国家正在分崩离析, 我们需要更换政府.
rib section of a forequarter of veal or pork or especially lamb or mutton
1. Americans tend to become trapped in a working and spending consumption mode, driven by merchants, that leads them to rack up their expectations. 美国人往往会陷入一种由商人们所鼓吹的工作-花钱消费的模式之中，这种模式引诱他们抬高了自己的期望值。
2. It is not worth while to rack your brains over such a trifle. 这样的小事不值得你伤脑筋。