n ~ (to sb/sth)
1 [C, U] answer 回答; 答覆
*She made no response. 她没有回答.
* In response to your inquiry... 兹答覆您的询问...
* His accusations brought an immediate response. 他提出指控後迅即得到答覆.
2 [C, U] act or feeling produced in answer to a stimulus; reaction 反应; 响应
*a poor, generous, united, etc response to the appeal for funds 对徵集资金的呼吁反应甚微、积极响应、群起响应等
* Her cries for help met with no, some, little, etc response. 她那求救的呼声没有激起任何、激起了一些、没有激起什么...反应.
* The tax cuts produced a favourable response from the public. 税额削减受到了公众的欢迎.
3 [C usu pl 通常作复数] (religion 宗) part of the liturgy said or sung by the people at a church service in answer to the priest （礼拜时会众对牧师的）应答, 唱和. Cf 参看 versicle.
n [U and C]
something that is done as a reaction to something that has happened or been saidresponse to the public's response to our appeal for helpin response to sth The law was passed in response to public pressure.positive/favourable/negative etc response The exhibition has received a positive response from visitors.an emotional/angry response The decision provoked an angry response from residents. His immediate response was one of disbelief. Emmett's new exhibition has met with a favourable response from critics.[C]
something that is said or written as a replyresponse to 'Sure, why not?' was his response to all of Billie's suggestions. Carl made no response , and carried on with his meal.in response (to sth) I am writing in response to your letter of June 12. Ronni merely groaned in response.
1. Benbow says she was surprised that the talented girls should lack this pattern of response. 班博说，天资好的女孩居然没有这种反应模式，这使她很吃惊。
2. The response to this competition was tremendous. 对这场比赛的反响是惊人的。
3. The response to this competition was tremendous. 这次竞赛在听众中引起极其热烈的反响。
4. The Disney management is stressing this tradition in an apparent response to suggestions that it is culturally insensitive. 迪斯尼管理层强调这一传统，显然这是对有人暗示迪斯尼管理层在文化传统方面麻木不仁的回应。
5. The body has about a hundred billion nerve cells, and every experience triggers a brain response that literally shapes our senses. 人体有大约1,000亿个神经细胞，每一次经历都会激发脑部的反应，而这种反应实际上影响着我们的感知。
6. All I received in response to my request was the laconic reply "Wait." 我的要求所获得的反应只是简明的回答：“等”。
7. Such parents fluctuate between saying no and giving in — but neither response seems satisfactory to them. 这样的父母会在拒绝和让步之间动摇不定 -- 但是好象没有哪种办法能使他们感到满意。
8. Some unknown interval of time passes before her eyes open again, only this time there is no response in them, just a blank stare. 不知过了多长时间，她又睁开了双眼，只是这一次目光里没有任何反应，只有空空的凝视。
9. Measurements made by Arthur Kramer at the University of Illinois demonstrated that inactive adults, aged 63 to 82, could hit buttons faster in response to a tone after they went through a 10-week water exercise course. 伊利诺伊大学阿瑟·克雷默测量的结果证明，63至82岁的不运动的成年人，在完成为期十周的水上运动课程之后，听音击键的反应加快了。
10. Considering and reconsidering events to choose the most creative response to them. 反复考虑各种事件，并对它们做出最富创意的反应。