fer＝to carry（运；载），to bear（忍耐）
1 [U] pain of body or mind （肉体或内心的）痛苦
*There is so much suffering in this world. 这个世界上多灾多难.
2 sufferings [pl] feelings of pain, unhappiness, etc 痛苦、不幸等的感觉; 苦恼; 折磨
*the sufferings of the starving refugees 饥饿中的难民所受的折磨.
n [U and C]
serious physical or mental pain
the suffering of the refugees after the war
the pain and suffering caused by road accidents
1. What illness is he suffering from? 他患了什么病？
2. The patient´s cheerful smile was just a facade; actually, she was suffering from ennui. 那病人愉快的微笑只是表面上的；事实上她倦怠的很。
3. There is plenty of evidence that, too often, pressure from parents results in children suffering fatigue rather than becoming geniuses. 大量证据表明，家长的压力常会导致孩子疲劳厌倦而不是成为天才。
4. Of the nature of the illness from which his friend was suffering, 不知道他的朋友得的是什么病，
5. Reporters can cause untold suffering to individuals by publishing details about their private lives. 发表有关别人生活的细节，有时会给当事人造成极大的痛苦。
6. He is suffering from abdominal pains. 他正受腹痛之苦。
7. He is suffering from nerves. 他患神经过敏的病。
8. He is in hospital, suffering from a punctured lung. 他因肺部穿孔而住院治疗.
9. He vented his anger on his long-suffering wife. 他拿一贯受气的妻子出气.
10. His voice had a tone of sorrow for the suffering of that ancient city, and a tone of confidence, too — a feeling of belief that London would be there, no matter what it had to endure. 他的声音里表达了一种为这个古老城市遭受的苦难而感到的悲痛，同时还传递着一种信心-- 一种相信无论要去忍受什么样的苦难伦敦也将巍然屹立的信念。